The Student Room Group

Student bills over the summer

My tenancy for my student house has started at the start of July and it’s a house of 7. 2 of these people have moved in and the other 5 of us are not moving in until September.
The 2 who have moved in have not only been really useless at sorting bills and opening the post but believe we should split the bills evenly because there is a baseline energy charge (standing charge and cost of fridges and freezer etc) but I just don’t see that as very fair that they are only paying the 2/7 of the bills for energy they are using. I am paying bills at home and really cannot afford to pay bills for a house I am not in.

I can see both sides as there is a base energy cost but 5 of us aren’t there and it’s almost impossible to work out the complete base cost. Apart from just splitting the standing charge total by 7 and the 2 living there paying the rest, anyone have any ideas how to combat this??

Secondary issue - they are refusing to sort out water because they did electric (after pestering from the energy company), I can do it but I do not have enough money in an account to be able to have a direct debit come out? Surely as water is by usage, it makes sense for one of their bank accounts to be connected.

Anyone have an ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending