The Student Room Group

Could carbohydrates be used as antidepressants

Hello, I am high shool student and I decided that I wanted to study carbohydrates this summer and I came up with an idea if carbohydrates could be used as antidepressants in medicine/pharmacology. I am not sure if this idea is good (if it has potential) and even if I am able to study it properly (equipment). So I am looking for help with this matter and I will be thankful to any tips and advices with this theme. Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Johan6612
Hello, I am high shool student and I decided that I wanted to study carbohydrates this summer and I came up with an idea if carbohydrates could be used as antidepressants in medicine/pharmacology. I am not sure if this idea is good (if it has potential) and even if I am able to study it properly (equipment). So I am looking for help with this matter and I will be thankful to any tips and advices with this theme. Thank you

I don’t think carbohydrates can be used as antidepressants because if they could would anyone be depressed if they ate enough carbohydrate rich food?

Essentially, that would be saying if people suffering from depression consume carbohydrate rich food (potato, rice, bread) they won’t be depressed which isn’t true.
Reply 2
I'm curious, what made you come up with the link between carbohydrates and antidepressants?
Reply 3
Original post by Spelunker
I'm curious, what made you come up with the link between carbohydrates and antidepressants?

Well foods high in sugar trigger the release of happy hormones like serotonin or endorphins so i was thinking if they could be used as antidepressants of course they would firstly needed to be modified with other chemicals to increase their effectiveness
Reply 4
Original post by Johan6612
Well foods high in sugar trigger the release of happy hormones like serotonin or endorphins so i was thinking if they could be used as antidepressants of course they would firstly needed to be modified with other chemicals to increase their effectiveness

ah I see :smile:. although you would probably have to focus on NDRI antidepressants medication like wellbutrin, as SSRI's which are more commonly prescribed in the UK (I'm not sure what country your from tho) work by blocking the re uptake of serotonin whilst foods high in sugar trigger the release of dopamine. NDRI's are the ones that block the re uptake of dopamine.
I used to be a researcher in carbohydrates and there’s little to no literature on them being employed as antidepressants, there are other APIs which are better suited to that. In the pharmaceutical industry carbohydrates are largely used for blood products and treatments as they’re quite good at removing certain harmful or unwanted compounds from the bloodstream.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending