The Student Room Group

Problem with maths at uni

Ive just completed my undergrad degree at cambridge, coming out the other side i feel less confident in maths then i did at the start, and has given me anxiety when attempting any problem after 3 years of doing near impossible problems on a daily basis, it feels like the university acts as a filter to pick out the very best minds and leave the average ones left behind, does anyone else have a similar experience
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Ive just completed my undergrad degree at cambridge, coming out the other side i feel less confident in maths then i did at the start, and has given me anxiety when attempting any problem after 3 years of doing near impossible problems on a daily basis, it feels like the university acts as a filter to pick out the very best minds and leave the average ones left behind, does anyone else have a similar experience

I must admit I had a similar experience over 30 years ago - it seemed more of a survival exercise than a genuine attempt to develop students potential or inspire them towards further study. I worked hard to get a First in Part II but I was exhausted at the end of it and didn't pursue an application for Part III which had been my original intention. I didn't feel like touching any maths for about 15 years afterwards!

I had hoped things might have improved since then, but perhaps not :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending