The Student Room Group

help in AQA a-level biology

Hi guys
I'm currently in y12 summer holidays and i'm thinking of going over all the y12 content of biology as I didn't really focus/understood it throughout the year and I want to improve my grades. first of all: would that be good or time-wasting? cause i did not understand it at all in first year. the thing is that i struggle so much on understanding it. like chemistry is just straight information cause you don't need to think about it as much but i feel like biology is a lot more complex cause you need to link it back to all the previous topics and i rlyyyyy struggle with it. are there any tips on how to "understand" it or just like any initiative/mindset to think about when studying biology? for eg i remember my teacher saying: "in biology, you just need to get it and you'll be fine". is that true? please help a struggling alevel student that is needing to get good grades 😭😭
Okay I just finished my exams for 2023. My best approach is too relearn all of the content until you understand and you can teach yourself. Also if you are a person who loves writing information to understand it DO IT. BUY A A4 NOTE PAD. Literally write all the facts you need to know for each topics and makes sure they solid in your head. Study the whole of A level biology it makes it easier for yr13. Then you can use yr13 for exam practice as the difference form AS papers and standard of writing differ in greater scale compared to the A level papers. Chemistry will get harder especially for organic so I would say to learn everything in the textbook both year 1 and year 2. Biology is constantly repeating the information until its solid. Chemistry is the same but more maths but most of the questions will be easy once you've done crazy amount of topic base questions. If you have anymore doubts let me know.
Original post by Covidsucks2021
Okay I just finished my exams for 2023. My best approach is too relearn all of the content until you understand and you can teach yourself. Also if you are a person who loves writing information to understand it DO IT. BUY A A4 NOTE PAD. Literally write all the facts you need to know for each topics and makes sure they solid in your head. Study the whole of A level biology it makes it easier for yr13. Then you can use yr13 for exam practice as the difference form AS papers and standard of writing differ in greater scale compared to the A level papers. Chemistry will get harder especially for organic so I would say to learn everything in the textbook both year 1 and year 2. Biology is constantly repeating the information until its solid. Chemistry is the same but more maths but most of the questions will be easy once you've done crazy amount of topic base questions. If you have anymore doubts let me know.

I was stressing so much over it you SAVED MEEEE
do you use any resources to learn it? because the way that i do is to use biology with olivia and make flashcards with them so i active recall.
my plan before september: i should first write all info down the way that i understand it in a notebook until it makes sense to me. then convert notes to flashcards and active recall. repeat for each topic.
what do you think i should add or improve?
Original post by laibaanhsaudhyi
I was stressing so much over it you SAVED MEEEE
do you use any resources to learn it? because the way that i do is to use biology with olivia and make flashcards with them so i active recall.
my plan before september: i should first write all info down the way that i understand it in a notebook until it makes sense to me. then convert notes to flashcards and active recall. repeat for each topic.
what do you think i should add or improve?

Yh flash cards are kind of long. I would say use the ones on quizlet and pmt for flash cards. Like quizlet has flashcards for each A level papers meaning it will be topic specific. Use Ms Eustrich for biology has she has videos explaining the facts. Also use this time to also finish writing your personal statement. Then also do research on the courses you want to do. Research is really key. Flash cards for chemistry you only need for organic and inorganic especially for mechanisms. Also look at the A level papers and the specification.
Original post by Covidsucks2021
Yh flash cards are kind of long. I would say use the ones on quizlet and pmt for flash cards. Like quizlet has flashcards for each A level papers meaning it will be topic specific. Use Ms Eustrich for biology has she has videos explaining the facts. Also use this time to also finish writing your personal statement. Then also do research on the courses you want to do. Research is really key. Flash cards for chemistry you only need for organic and inorganic especially for mechanisms. Also look at the A level papers and the specification.

Okok thank you. good luck with results day!

Quick Reply

Latest