The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Preparing for DE300 project (Open University).

Hi!
I'll be studying DE300 in October 2023 and am wanting to prepare in advance for the project. Most of the topics I'm interested in would most likely not be approved due to ethical guidelines (mental health related).

Can anyone please advise me on how best to prepare and if there are any useful websites which can give me some inspiration on what topic to choose?
Reply 1
Original post by pheobs20
Hi!
I'll be studying DE300 in October 2023 and am wanting to prepare in advance for the project. Most of the topics I'm interested in would most likely not be approved due to ethical guidelines (mental health related).

Can anyone please advise me on how best to prepare and if there are any useful websites which can give me some inspiration on what topic to choose?

Hey!
I chose to do a qualitative study for my project as it meant I would not need to find so many participants. I did a phenomenological study about reverse culture shock, which involved interviewing participants who had lived abroad and then returned home to the UK. I came up with this idea based on my own experience, as I used to live abroad. I'd say using your own experience can be helpful for thinking of ideas. If you're interested in mental health, perhaps you could ask people about their experiences of accessing mental health services, or working in mental health services, or something along those lines. I'm quite interested in training for mental health professionals, and am hoping to do research into how trainee counsellors experience working with trauma if it comes up in their work. There may be something you could look into about how useful people have found having a psychology degree when going into a career in mental health later down the line. These are just a few things that popped into my head - all probably suited to a qualitative methodology because that's where my interests tend to lie.

Good luck with it!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest