The Student Room Group

Essay results

I used Ai for purely structure and grammar and turnitin recorded high Ai usage. I was failed because of this and have to. Retake a term. How do I appeal.
Original post by Woolfman
I used Ai for purely structure and grammar and turnitin recorded high Ai usage. I was failed because of this and have to. Retake a term. How do I appeal.

you don't appeal.AI is plagiarism and should be covered in the Plagiarism policy. If it isn't, you could try and appeal on the basis 'no one told you not to use AI', but I wouldn't hold out for a favourable response.
Reply 2
Original post by bamtutor
you don't appeal.AI is plagiarism and should be covered in the Plagiarism policy. If it isn't, you could try and appeal on the basis 'no one told you not to use AI', but I wouldn't hold out for a favourable response.
Erm am not sure you are right. It is a very grey area still. If Ai used for fact finding I agree but for layout and grammar should be accepted imo.
Erm am not sure you are right. It is a very grey area still. If Ai used for fact finding I agree but for layout and grammar should be accepted imo.
what does your Uni / College policy say? If they state it can be used to check grammar then you should have a case. If they don't and the policy states AI should not be used,, then you probably don't.

It's very unlikely that you can appeal. However no harm in trying. Do you still have a copy of the essay before you used AI to structure it and do grammatical corrections? That may be useful. Also get in touch with your student union ASAP, they will be able to advice you better on how the appeal process works at your university and they might be able to help you.
Hi! I'm sorry to hear that you have to retake a term. Do you mean you used Grammarly? I would recommend looking into the AI guidelines from your university/college and checking whether using programmes such as this is acceptable or not. If the guidelines say you cannot use them, then you don't have a choice other than to retake the assessment. However, if you believe that your use of AI was fairly within guidelines then the policy should tell you who to contact for further information.
Hope this helps!
-Kat (2nd year psychology student at Lancaster University)
Reply 6
Original post by bamtutor
what does your Uni / College policy say? If they state it can be used to check grammar then you should have a case. If they don't and the policy states AI should not be used,, then you probably don't.
It does have a lot to say re Ai
Reply 7
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi! I'm sorry to hear that you have to retake a term. Do you mean you used Grammarly? I would recommend looking into the AI guidelines from your university/college and checking whether using programmes such as this is acceptable or not. If the guidelines say you cannot use them, then you don't have a choice other than to retake the assessment. However, if you believe that your use of AI was fairly within guidelines then the policy should tell you who to contact for further information.
Hope this helps!
-Kat (2nd year psychology student at Lancaster University)
I used chat gpt for my grammar
Reply 8
University acknowledges ai as long as it is cited
Hi,

This will heavily depend on the uni/department itself as to how their appeal system works. I’d say first person to contact would be the module convenor as they should hopefully be able to direct you in the right place. Other than that, I know kent has a specific contact so it may be worth looking through the university contact list.

Best of luck!
Natalie
Reply 10
Module Convener where?

Quick Reply

Latest