The Student Room Group

Compared to remote work, how solitary is an arts PhD?

I currently work full-time at a job that is mostly remote - the organisation I work for is very small, and the few of us that are within commuting distance of our office tend to go there once a week. I am also single and live alone, so I find my current life situation very solitary to the point where I often feel lonely. I enjoy being on my own some of the time, but balance I have at the moment isn't right for me.

I have been planning to apply to undertake an English Literature PhD next autumn, and if successful in securing a place and funding, I would leave my job to pursue this. However, I am aware that PhD study is mostly solitary, and given how I feel about my current situation, I am concerned that I might struggle with this aspect of it. On the other hand, going back to academia might allow me to meet more likeminded people and make new friends etc., and perhaps the solitary aspect would bother me less if I were to work on something I felt passionate about (unlike my current job). I'm not sure what my living situation would be, e.g. if I would continue living alone or move into a house share or something.

I would be interested to hear how others have found the solitary nature of studying an arts PhD, and particularly from anyone who can compare this experience to doing a conventional job from home. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending