The Student Room Group

Get into teaching KS1

Hello! I am looking for guidance on how to start my journey into becoming a reception class teacher!
My question is, what are the steps? Theres so many different routes and its all just a bit confusing for me.

To start, i dont have a science GCSE, ive heard you need them to go into uni or to achieve QTS. Can i do an equivalence course online? Or alternatively not do it at all lol.

Second, how do i go about getting my level 5 degree? I was thinking of doing early years BA in uni, but money is an issue. Ive seen online uni courses that are around about £10k cheaper but i dont know if ill get the appropriate guidance online? Also i have ADD so sitting there and studying for long periods of time literally kills me. Ive seen 6 year course options but thats 6 god damn years of my life, and im unsure how the course prices will be affected on the future.
Any recommendations for my options of obtaining a level 5 degree would be fantastic!
Lastly, after i get my level 5, i need to achieve QTS? And i believe this is where i would absolutely need a science GCSE. Ontop of that QTS courses are between £7-10k.

Are there any alternative routes that dont involve so much money or so much time studying?
Id be more then happy to work as a teaching assistant or nursery worker inbetween all this but i also dont want to burn myself out and plummet my mental health down to hell.

Tips and guidance would be ever so appreciated thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Absta1006
Hello! I am looking for guidance on how to start my journey into becoming a reception class teacher!
My question is, what are the steps? Theres so many different routes and its all just a bit confusing for me.

To start, i dont have a science GCSE, ive heard you need them to go into uni or to achieve QTS. Can i do an equivalence course online? Or alternatively not do it at all lol.

Second, how do i go about getting my level 5 degree? I was thinking of doing early years BA in uni, but money is an issue. Ive seen online uni courses that are around about £10k cheaper but i dont know if ill get the appropriate guidance online? Also i have ADD so sitting there and studying for long periods of time literally kills me. Ive seen 6 year course options but thats 6 god damn years of my life, and im unsure how the course prices will be affected on the future.
Any recommendations for my options of obtaining a level 5 degree would be fantastic!
Lastly, after i get my level 5, i need to achieve QTS? And i believe this is where i would absolutely need a science GCSE. Ontop of that QTS courses are between £7-10k.

Are there any alternative routes that dont involve so much money or so much time studying?
Id be more then happy to work as a teaching assistant or nursery worker inbetween all this but i also dont want to burn myself out and plummet my mental health down to hell.

Tips and guidance would be ever so appreciated thank you! :smile:

Do you mean reception or KS1 [Year 1 and 2]?

Have you spent time in a school?

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/early-years-teaching-training
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Do you mean reception or KS1 [Year 1 and 2]?

Have you spent time in a school?

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/early-years-teaching-training

Reception isnt key stage 1? Omg mind blown again lol. Either would be perfect to be honest!
Ive done 50 hours of experience in January but currently work in an unrelated field.

What requirements do they each have? Do you still need QTS and a level 5 degree for them both?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Absta1006
Reception isnt key stage 1? Omg mind blown again lol. Either would be perfect to be honest!
Ive done 50 hours of experience in January but currently work in an unrelated field.

What requirements do they each have? Do you still need QTS and a level 5 degree for them both?

Look on the link I posted :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending