The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kings college london

Hey!
I’m just writing my experience with applying to KCL law LLB this year as a word of warning to others who may be looking to apply next year.
I started doing my Access to Higher Education course in law in September 2022. From the very beginning KCL was my top choice uni, so I worked super hard on my course (similar to three a-levels in one year) and in my spare time revised for my LNAT.
I was unsure whether I’d get an offer from kings as I hadn’t managed to do school the traditional way due to a difficult home life growing up, and was going back to do education at 20 with no other qualifications.
By some miracle I got a glowing referral from my teacher and a 30 on my LNAT. Less than a week after my LNAT grade came out I received an unconditional offer from Kings. I was incredibly happy when I received this ( as any one would be), but I was also a little suspicious as I didn’t receive a page with conditions that you have to met, even if it’s an unconditional offer. I was especially concerned as I had applied with contextual grades and circumstances.
So I called the next day, and was told by the lady on the phone gave me the strong impression it could be a mistake but made no further efforts to find out. This was very upsetting, so I called again, a different lady then sent a message to the admissions team about my case. A few days later I received an email that my unconditional offer was correct.
I still called occasionally about the additional paper work I needed to receive and people on the kings college phone line were consistently rude and belittling about worries, concerns and queries.
More than a month later I received a call from Kings college talking to me about my offer, encouraging me to accept it and telling me how excited they were to have me start university. I was thoroughly reassured by this.
As I thought I had an unconditional offer I allowed myself to relax a little on my course work when I got ill, and I wasn’t achieving as well as I was for a short while.
Two weeks after this call, I received a ucas tracked update informing there had been a change to my applications. It said that kings was now offering me a conditional offer, not an unconditional offer. I had had no contact from kings about this, no kings apply update. I phone the university and they confirm this is true but there’s nothing they can do and they advise me to write my concern on my kings apply ( kings apply takes roughly two weeks to get a response)

A week later a receive a kings apply update saying that I must accept the conditions of my offer within five days and that they made an administrative error. I received no apology from the university in this update, and no explanation. I try to contact them about this, about how it’s affected my mental health, about how devastating it has been, as I no longer can meet the conditions of the offer. This again is not acknowledged. I try to complain formally to the university about this but receive no reply as there seems to be no formal avenue for complaints for offer holders from Kings.
I am now in a position where I am unable to go to my choice of university and having to apply through clearing despite achieving extremely highly in my LNAT. I want to get this done as swiftly and painlessly as possible, but although I have my grades, kings will not accept or deny my offer until the 17th of August, so I am left in some what of a university limbo yet again. And yet again their only resolution is to wait for reply that will probably never come from kings apply.

I am truly disgusted with how the university has treated me, consistently belittling me, making me feel stupid for chasing answers and creating an extremely unstable and unenjoyable university application process. This is not to say Kings does not have its charms, it’s a beautiful university with amazing and lovely teachers and students; some of whom I had the pleasure to meet during my offer holder day. But if this is how the administration deals with people it is definitely something to consider when you are thinking of applying.
Original post by KylaC
Hey!
I’m just writing my experience with applying to KCL law LLB this year as a word of warning to others who may be looking to apply next year.
I started doing my Access to Higher Education course in law in September 2022. From the very beginning KCL was my top choice uni, so I worked super hard on my course (similar to three a-levels in one year) and in my spare time revised for my LNAT.
I was unsure whether I’d get an offer from kings as I hadn’t managed to do school the traditional way due to a difficult home life growing up, and was going back to do education at 20 with no other qualifications.
By some miracle I got a glowing referral from my teacher and a 30 on my LNAT. Less than a week after my LNAT grade came out I received an unconditional offer from Kings. I was incredibly happy when I received this ( as any one would be), but I was also a little suspicious as I didn’t receive a page with conditions that you have to met, even if it’s an unconditional offer. I was especially concerned as I had applied with contextual grades and circumstances.
So I called the next day, and was told by the lady on the phone gave me the strong impression it could be a mistake but made no further efforts to find out. This was very upsetting, so I called again, a different lady then sent a message to the admissions team about my case. A few days later I received an email that my unconditional offer was correct.
I still called occasionally about the additional paper work I needed to receive and people on the kings college phone line were consistently rude and belittling about worries, concerns and queries.
More than a month later I received a call from Kings college talking to me about my offer, encouraging me to accept it and telling me how excited they were to have me start university. I was thoroughly reassured by this.
As I thought I had an unconditional offer I allowed myself to relax a little on my course work when I got ill, and I wasn’t achieving as well as I was for a short while.
Two weeks after this call, I received a ucas tracked update informing there had been a change to my applications. It said that kings was now offering me a conditional offer, not an unconditional offer. I had had no contact from kings about this, no kings apply update. I phone the university and they confirm this is true but there’s nothing they can do and they advise me to write my concern on my kings apply ( kings apply takes roughly two weeks to get a response)

A week later a receive a kings apply update saying that I must accept the conditions of my offer within five days and that they made an administrative error. I received no apology from the university in this update, and no explanation. I try to contact them about this, about how it’s affected my mental health, about how devastating it has been, as I no longer can meet the conditions of the offer. This again is not acknowledged. I try to complain formally to the university about this but receive no reply as there seems to be no formal avenue for complaints for offer holders from Kings.
I am now in a position where I am unable to go to my choice of university and having to apply through clearing despite achieving extremely highly in my LNAT. I want to get this done as swiftly and painlessly as possible, but although I have my grades, kings will not accept or deny my offer until the 17th of August, so I am left in some what of a university limbo yet again. And yet again their only resolution is to wait for reply that will probably never come from kings apply.

I am truly disgusted with how the university has treated me, consistently belittling me, making me feel stupid for chasing answers and creating an extremely unstable and unenjoyable university application process. This is not to say Kings does not have its charms, it’s a beautiful university with amazing and lovely teachers and students; some of whom I had the pleasure to meet during my offer holder day. But if this is how the administration deals with people it is definitely something to consider when you are thinking of applying.

I find it funny how you made a new account just to trash KCL. I see a lot of you people on here. Its obvious that you are from a competing university trying to dissuade prospective students from attending KCL. Go get a life
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by babycakes1200
I find it funny how you made a new account just to trash KCL. I see a lot of you people on here. Its obvious that you are from a competing university trying to dissuade prospective students from attending KCL. Go get a life

Hi Babycakes 1200,
I’m sorry you see my post that way. This is my experience and has affected my uni and future. I wanted share what happened to me so others are more aware. If the TSR admins require proof I have plenty.

Quick Reply

Latest