The Student Room Group

A level English literature B NEA question

I'm so stuck on which novel to pick for my A-level coursework. I've got three books in mind, 'The Catcher In the Rye,' 'Looking for Alaska,' 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower.' Considering I need to reference literary theory in my coursework, I feel as though Catcher in the Rye would look best, but I only got 3/4 of the way through it before getting bored. I feel as though the other two are too immature, but I love their plots and could speak more about them as I understand more about what's going on. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do, or other books which might be better? Thanks guys (p.s my first time posting sorry if I've done it all wrong haha
Original post by Lilyvanilla
I'm so stuck on which novel to pick for my A-level coursework. I've got three books in mind, 'The Catcher In the Rye,' 'Looking for Alaska,' 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower.' Considering I need to reference literary theory in my coursework, I feel as though Catcher in the Rye would look best, but I only got 3/4 of the way through it before getting bored. I feel as though the other two are too immature, but I love their plots and could speak more about them as I understand more about what's going on. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do, or other books which might be better? Thanks guys (p.s my first time posting sorry if I've done it all wrong haha

I do english lit a-level aqa and i would just like to ask what is the course work supposed to be on ?, like for my nea, we have a choice of various critical theories ,which we have to utilise in posing a relevant question about our chosen prose text...I would say u have to make sure none of the books u pick are studied texts at a-level for ur board as they wont be allowed, and try to make sure the texts are of suitable difficulty , as its best for them to be canonical as u have more critics etc available on them, and make sure u are interested in ur text as otherwise it will be hard to research and write a critical essay on a text u dont like.....i guess the text can not be canonical if the theory u are using is related to the text being a part of the canon, the reason i say that is cause the examiners do care somewhat about this...hope this helps....
Original post by Lilyvanilla

Not sure which exam board you're with. I'd say don't do a text you don't enjoy because it makes the whole process much worse. I think something like POBAW is maybe too immature for most exam boards - they often advise against anything YA. Depending on your exam board, there may be a list of banned books Additionally, it's going to be MUCH harder to apply literary theory I'd imagine and there's probably going to be a lack of useful, official resources. It may be useful to google like texts like this to see what comes up. For mine, I just googled books similar to my first text to help me work out what i could write about. I had not read my second text before but ended up LOVING it and now it's one of my fave texts so this could be a good opportunity to find a new fave text or maybe explore books you never considered before.
Reply 3
Original post by Chickenunicorn17
I do english lit a-level aqa and i would just like to ask what is the course work supposed to be on ?, like for my nea, we have a choice of various critical theories ,which we have to utilise in posing a relevant question about our chosen prose text...I would say u have to make sure none of the books u pick are studied texts at a-level for ur board as they wont be allowed, and try to make sure the texts are of suitable difficulty , as its best for them to be canonical as u have more critics etc available on them, and make sure u are interested in ur text as otherwise it will be hard to research and write a critical essay on a text u dont like.....i guess the text can not be canonical if the theory u are using is related to the text being a part of the canon, the reason i say that is cause the examiners do care somewhat about this...hope this helps....

Original post by misseuropa
Not sure which exam board you're with. I'd say don't do a text you don't enjoy because it makes the whole process much worse. I think something like POBAW is maybe too immature for most exam boards - they often advise against anything YA. Depending on your exam board, there may be a list of banned books Additionally, it's going to be MUCH harder to apply literary theory I'd imagine and there's probably going to be a lack of useful, official resources. It may be useful to google like texts like this to see what comes up. For mine, I just googled books similar to my first text to help me work out what i could write about. I had not read my second text before but ended up LOVING it and now it's one of my fave texts so this could be a good opportunity to find a new fave text or maybe explore books you never considered before.

Thanks for replying guys! Ended up picking Catcher in the Rye in the end :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending