The Student Room Group

Third year: is it better to graduate with a lower grade or to repeat the year again?

Hi, I was wondering if I could have some advice.

So I have been at university for 4 years now. I had to repeat the third year last year because of mental health, and I had a relapse this year and am sure I'm going to do not as well as I would like or am capable of in my exams because of that. I have a medical paper trail and the uni are completely aware of my extenuating circumstances.

Do you think it would be better to just plug through and graduate with a lower grade (even though I'm certain I'm going to do badly this year because I'm not well at the moment) or to withdraw and repeat the year and try to get a good grade, but take longer to finish my studies?

Do employers care more about your degree classification or the time it took to finish? Anyone have any advice on what you would do? Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by eh4e19

So I have been at university for 4 years now. I had to repeat the third year last year because of mental health, and I had a relapse this year and am sure I'm going to do not as well as I would like or am capable of in my exams because of that. I have a medical paper trail and the uni are completely aware of my extenuating circumstances.

Do you think it would be better to just plug through and graduate with a lower grade (even though I'm certain I'm going to do badly this year because I'm not well at the moment) or to withdraw and repeat the year and try to get a good grade, but take longer to finish my studies?

Do employers care more about your degree classification or the time it took to finish? Anyone have any advice on what you would do? Thank you.

what degree classifications are we talking about here
Reply 2
Original post by lesgo21
what degree classifications are we talking about here

It would be a 2.2 probably, maybe even a third if I kept going the way I am re. my health.

But I think I might be capable of better if I repeated the year or took some time off and then came back.

Edit: thanks for responding!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by eh4e19
It would be a 2.2 probably, maybe even a third if I kept going the way I am re. my health.

But I think I might be capable of better if I repeated the year or took some time off and then came back.

If you feel like there is a realistic chance of you ending up graduating with a 3rd then it would be advisable to repeat the year again.

However, constantly repeating will not help your mental health. Ideally you secure at least a 2.ii this year and move on. Lots of companies are dropping the strict 2.i requirement. Have you looked at job postings that interest you and see what requirements they have?

In any case, you should wait to see what you get before making any decision.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by eh4e19

hey, wait for results day, if you get below a 2:1 then defo take some time off and come back.
Reply 5
Thank you :h: I don't know if you can come back though? I thought you can only repeat if you fail the year, not if you get a low grade?
Original post by Anonymous
hey, wait for results day, if you get below a 2:1 then defo take some time off and come back.
Reply 6
Thank you ! :smile:

Yes I agree about the third. I just don't know what to do. I'm about to resit an exam but if I do badly I'll just be stuck with that grade forever :frown: I also handed in some assignments late because of panic attacks. I just don't think they'll allow me to retake anything again if I still pass but with a low grade.
Original post by lesgo21
If you feel like there is a realistic chance of you ending up graduating with a 3rd then it would be advisable to repeat the year again.

However, constantly repeating will not help your mental health. Ideally you secure at least a 2.ii this year and move on. Lots of companies are dropping the strict 2.i requirement. Have you looked at job postings that interest you and see what requirements they have?

In any case, you should wait to see what you get before making any decision.
Original post by eh4e19
Thank you :h: I don't know if you can come back though? I thought you can only repeat if you fail the year, not if you get a low grade?

Generally that is the case that you can't just resit to improve grades, however depending on extenuating circumstances policies the picture may vary. I'd recommend speaking with your personal tutor/DoS about it ASAP to get a steer on the actual university policy around this. It sounds like as you have health issues there may be extenuating circumstances grounds that may give some more options but definitely you want to understand exactly what your options are at your specific uni/department.

In terms of results, a 2:2 will limit you for pursuing most grad schemes, but not in getting a non-grad scheme job necessarily. Your relevant work experience will be much more important there. In the medium-long term it wouldn't really make a difference, it's just having a 2:1 makes it a bit easier to get a foot in the door at a higher level. If you don't mind starting at a slightly lower level and working your way up, a 2:2 would probably make that perfectly achievable.

With a 3rd though then you're probably going to be looking more at entry level positions and starting in at the ground floor. Depending on your field this may be undesirable (or make your goals unrealistic). So that's something to consider.
Original post by eh4e19

Companies are now looking for experience over qualification I personally would look to find some form of work experience, internship in the field of study and work you wish to pursue and use that as a starting point to then therefore starting at the bottom making your way up to apply for postgraduate roles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending