The Student Room Group

Year 13

Hi - I am going into year 13 and I do not enjoy one of my a-level subjects, chemistry. I have been predicted a C at the end of year 12 and I am unsure of what to do with the options I have. I used to study Spanish and I really enjoy learning the language outside of college (as I have thought about studying something related at uni like linguistics or Hispanic studies or Spanish dependent on the entry requirements), so one of my options is to pick this subject up again, but I would need to do an extra year at college. My other option is to continue with chemistry and sit my exam at the end of this year and then look into doing a gap year in Spain and then look at uni after. This is obviously a decision I have to make, but does anybody have any advice on either of these options?!
From my own experience biology made me miserable in year 12, finished year 12 with a D but i did some catching up over the summer and started year 13 with a fresh perspective. in year 13 i thrived and started to enjoy it because i was putting more effort in and finished with a decent grade for university.
I think switching depends on what you want to do at university.
Practically in a follow your brain POV i'd stick with Chem and do your year in spain as this can be a strong application point in your PS.
Talking about your passion for your subjects while including your passion outside of college learning this language, travelling, gaining independence and immersing yourself in the culture will be a strong talking point.
However, if you strongly believe swapping will make you happier and make education more enjoyable then thats more important.

Quick Reply

Latest