The Student Room Group

when do i apply for med school?

hi guys
i feel this is a very silly question but i just dont understand the timeline of applications
i want to apply for medicine - will i be applying in year 12 or year 13?
if i apply at the start of year 12, how is it possible to get all that experience that i thought i would be getting over 2 years?
i.e. if i have to apply in december of year 12, what if i dont have enough experience or hours because well ive only been in year 12 for a couple months?
Original post by kshaikhl19
hi guys
i feel this is a very silly question but i just dont understand the timeline of applications
i want to apply for medicine - will i be applying in year 12 or year 13?
if i apply at the start of year 12, how is it possible to get all that experience that i thought i would be getting over 2 years?
i.e. if i have to apply in december of year 12, what if i dont have enough experience or hours because well ive only been in year 12 for a couple months?

You apply in year 13 through UCAS - earlier than most other applicants though, as medicine has an earlier deadline of October 15th (also vet med, dentistry, and all courses at Oxbridge). The normal UCAS deadline for applicants not applying to those courses would be January 26th of year 13.

So you would normally be aiming to do your work experience in the spring of year 12/summer between year 12 and 13. I gather this is typically around the time you take the UCAT as well? Note that it's usually less about quantity with work experience than the quality of your reflections upon the work experience.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
You apply in year 13 through UCAS - earlier than most other applicants though, as medicine has an earlier deadline of October 15th (also vet med, dentistry, and all courses at Oxbridge). The normal UCAS deadline for applicants not applying to those courses would be January 26th of year 13.

So you would normally be aiming to do your work experience in the spring of year 12/summer between year 12 and 13. I gather this is typically around the time you take the UCAT as well? Note that it's usually less about quantity with work experience than the quality of your reflections upon the work experience.

that makes more sense 😅
thank you <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending