The Student Room Group

dropping physics intending to do computer science at uni

Hey guys I am turning to you for help

I currently do Maths, Physics and Computer Science (just started y12).

I picked these subjects because im intending to go down a software engineering/cs route in uni (or some kind of STEM)

After starting my courses this year i enjoy CS and maths, but i dread physics. I want to switch physics to economics as that has also been an interest of mine, but I am wondering if this will hinder my CS career in the future for example applying to uni.

I'm going to talk to my progress mentor on monday about this but just looking for some other perspectives.
bro it wont at all
unless you want to apply to oxford, cambridge, LSE, UCL, imperial and warwick, pretty much every other uni only asks for maths
further maths is a good option i wish i picked it
Reply 3
If you got decent grades in your Maths GCSEs and you enjoy it, I recommend seeing if your school can allow you to pick up Further Maths, It's super helpful for top universities for CS.
Reply 4
Original post by hiddenname
If you got decent grades in your Maths GCSEs and you enjoy it, I recommend seeing if your school can allow you to pick up Further Maths, It's super helpful for top universities for CS.

Absolutely this!Do not need Physics at all but FM is gold standard for CS.
Original post by Scotney
Absolutely this!Do not need Physics at all but FM is gold standard for CS.

yh im in year 13 and i regret not taking it
reckon i can sneak into manchester without it though so not gonna take a year out to do it. or degree apprenticeship at birmingham
Reply 6
Original post by jamest0394q
yh im in year 13 and i regret not taking it
reckon i can sneak into manchester without it though so not gonna take a year out to do it. or degree apprenticeship at birmingham

As you said it is the top ranking unis in particular who want it.Can you get to a Manchester open day and see what they say or even phone admissions and ask.
Original post by Scotney
As you said it is the top ranking unis in particular who want it.Can you get to a Manchester open day and see what they say or even phone admissions and ask.

went to an open day in june, they said as long as you get 3 A*s predicted you should be fine
subject requirements are maths + 1 science out of further, natural sciences, and CS

mainly 6s and 7s min at GCSE
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
went to an open day in june, they said as long as you get 3 A*s predicted you should be fine
subject requirements are maths + 1 science out of further, natural sciences, and CS

mainly 6s and 7s min at GCSE

Ok useful to know that actually.:smile:Good luck with your application.
Original post by Scotney
Ok useful to know that actually.:smile:Good luck with your application.

thank you bro, are you applying this year also
Reply 10
thank you bro, are you applying this year also

No I advise on applying to Oxbridge mainly.

Quick Reply

Latest