The Student Room Group

If a text is describing something (like a hotel) Would the text be in 3rd person?

Im really struggling to understand this.

If a text doesn't have any characters, but it's describing a hotel and refers to the hotel using pronouns such as "it" (it was very clean inside"

Does this still mean the text is written in 3rd person narration even though there is no characters?

But instead of characters, it's refering the 'hotel' as "IT"

Is this correct? Please help, thanks.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ashleylaw
Im really struggling to understand this.

If a text doesn't have any characters, but it's describing a hotel and refers to the hotel using pronouns such as "it" (it was very clean inside"

Does this still mean the text is written in 3rd person narration even though there is no characters?

But instead of characters, it's refering the 'hotel' as "IT"

Is this correct? Please help, thanks.

The third person refers to the person telling the story, and refers to the person in a grammatical sense such that if you were to conjugate a verb the first person is I or we, the second is you and the third is he, she or they. Thus the hotel in your text would be described by someone who seems to see what’s happening but does actually participate in the story.
This will probably des it better
https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/point-of-view-first-second-third-person-difference#:~:text=In%20third%2Dperson%20narration%2C%20the,he%2C%20she%2C%20or%20they.
Reply 2
Original post by Euapp
The third person refers to the person telling the story, and refers to the person in a grammatical sense such that if you were to conjugate a verb the first person is I or we, the second is you and the third is he, she or they. Thus the hotel in your text would be described by someone who seems to see what’s happening but does actually participate in the story.
This will probably des it better
https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/point-of-view-first-second-third-person-difference#:~:text=In%20third%2Dperson%20narration%2C%20the,he%2C%20she%2C%20or%20they.

Thanks for the info. Im still abit confused though. I really want to learn and comprehend it. Are you saying the fact that the hotel is being described by someone, it makes the text first person? Or is it still 3rd person?
Reply 3
Original post by Ashleylaw
Thanks for the info. Im still abit confused though. I really want to learn and comprehend it. Are you saying the fact that the hotel is being described by someone, it makes the text first person? Or is it still 3rd person?

It’s first person if they say ”I”could see the ivy creeping up the wall, but third if it’s a voice exterior to the story that describes the hotel, so something like, the west wing of the hotel, left abandoned, was overgrown by ivy”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending