The Student Room Group

Getting my first job - not sure how to get a reference

Hi! I finished my A levels in June and have had the whole summer since then as a time to relax and do what I want. Once I get a bank account, I'm planning on applying for my first ever job to save up money during my gap year(s), most likely in retail.

I'm not sure what to do in terms of getting a reference, since I haven't had a job prior to this, so I don't have a previous employer to give me a reference. Who could I get a reference from?

Sorry if I seem a bit thick in asking this! I'm just very much new to the working world.
Original post by mx-person
Hi! I finished my A levels in June and have had the whole summer since then as a time to relax and do what I want. Once I get a bank account, I'm planning on applying for my first ever job to save up money during my gap year(s), most likely in retail.

I'm not sure what to do in terms of getting a reference, since I haven't had a job prior to this, so I don't have a previous employer to give me a reference. Who could I get a reference from?

Sorry if I seem a bit thick in asking this! I'm just very much new to the working world.

You can usually ask teachers you know well. If you need x2 references a lot of people volunteer in a charity shop for a few months and then ask for a reference of them :smile:

One of your subject teachers email them, your head of sixth form…

One can be a teacher from school/college/uni. For example a form tutor or head of year.
You can also have someone else give you a personal reference, for example a leader/coach from any clubs/societies you have attended/been a part of.
You could also do some volunteering while you are applying for jobs (such as in a charity shop) and they can also provide a reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending