The Student Room Group

EPQ for medicine ideas

I'm thinking of doing an EPQ for A-Levels but I cant think of a topic that I'm passionate about.

There are some ideas I find interesting:
*What are the racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare?
*How do health outcomes vary based on geographical location?
What are “never events” in medicine and how do they happen?
How much does space travel affect an astronaut’s health?

but I still have no idea where to start in terms of researching them.
Original post by aureliaa
I'm thinking of doing an EPQ for A-Levels but I cant think of a topic that I'm passionate about.

There are some ideas I find interesting:
*What are the racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare?
*How do health outcomes vary based on geographical location?
What are “never events” in medicine and how do they happen?
How much does space travel affect an astronaut’s health?

but I still have no idea where to start in terms of researching them.

With the EPQ topic, it's important to find a balance between it being too specific (meaning not enough sources to reference from) or too broad (which might confuse the reader and make it difficult for you to evaluate and conclude the topic).

I'm just going to number them 1 to 4 in order of them being mentioned in your post.
1 To make it more specific, you could focus the population in a specific area as well as particular disparities. What are some common disparities? How significant of a problem are they? What kind of impact does it have? Is it being tackled in any way? Can this be improved, and how?

2 I feel like you need to be more specific in terms of what you mean by health outcomes as well as the geographical location (in the way that health outcomes could vary across UK or across different continents).

3 I personally find this topic very interesting and it's something that would intrigue the general public as well. Finding the biggest or most common never events would be useful, but you could also find out how these never events are communicated across various hospital and the procedures.

4 Hm it might be useful to specify a particular part of an astronauts health. It would also be useful to have a look on Google scholar if there's any interesting articles to help you pinpoint your topic a bit more

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by KA_P
With the EPQ topic, it's important to find a balance between it being too specific (meaning not enough sources to reference from) or too broad (which might confuse the reader and make it difficult for you to evaluate and conclude the topic).

I'm just going to number them 1 to 4 in order of them being mentioned in your post.
1 To make it more specific, you could focus the population in a specific area as well as particular disparities. What are some common disparities? How significant of a problem are they? What kind of impact does it have? Is it being tackled in any way? Can this be improved, and how?

2 I feel like you need to be more specific in terms of what you mean by health outcomes as well as the geographical location (in the way that health outcomes could vary across UK or across different continents).

3 I personally find this topic very interesting and it's something that would intrigue the general public as well. Finding the biggest or most common never events would be useful, but you could also find out how these never events are communicated across various hospital and the procedures.

4 Hm it might be useful to specify a particular part of an astronauts health. It would also be useful to have a look on Google scholar if there's any interesting articles to help you pinpoint your topic a bit more

Hope that helps!

omg ty for ur feedback! i’m definitely leaning more towards 1 and 3 especially 3 as my mum has experience with never events in the hospital as a nurse lol. thank uu :h:
I feel like it's important to know that you can change/tweak your title during the project- I did this as initially mine was too specific

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending