The Student Room Group

Not enough student loan - how do I earn money in uni!

Hi!

I unfortunately got just enough loan to cover my accommodation costs with £100 left over and wasn't able to get a job over the summer (I've lost count of how many I applied to).

Do you guys have any way of earning extra money as a student? My parents say I can come home on the weekends for food restock etc as Royal Holloway is quite close to my house, but I don't want to spend the whole of first year coming home every weekend and sacrificing my social life in the process.

Currently, I plan on advertising and selling my A Level notes, plus loads of clothes I no longer wear on vinted and books etc... I'm also giving an interview for an online tutoring job with varsity tutors! I also plan on opening my child trust fund (when I just turned 19 so a year later lol)

TYSM and lemme know if you have any advice xxx
Original post by dayaspersonalgf
Hi!

I unfortunately got just enough loan to cover my accommodation costs with £100 left over and wasn't able to get a job over the summer (I've lost count of how many I applied to).

Do you guys have any way of earning extra money as a student? My parents say I can come home on the weekends for food restock etc as Royal Holloway is quite close to my house, but I don't want to spend the whole of first year coming home every weekend and sacrificing my social life in the process.

Currently, I plan on advertising and selling my A Level notes, plus loads of clothes I no longer wear on vinted and books etc... I'm also giving an interview for an online tutoring job with varsity tutors! I also plan on opening my child trust fund (when I just turned 19 so a year later lol)

- if you have enough study hours, non contact time, to get a job in a café it will give you discount
on their take away food which helps
- a bookstore would be less hard work, but harder to find a job with competition from other students
- if you have some proficiency in say tennis, swimming or another sport, could you do some assistant coaching of juniors?
Reply 2
Hi!

The safest bet is to try and get a job while at uni. A lot of people at Royal Holloway find jobs at Thorpe Park or Legoland since they are local and they are always hiring for different positions, especially for students. If there is not much in Egham you can always get buses or trains to local towns like Windsor and Staines.

Just make sure the hours will be flexible and you are allowed time off around exams etc.
Reply 3
Try the SU bar, reasonably ethical pay and you meet lots of interesting people
What course are you doing by any chance? If it is a health care based course, you could try your luck at a company called NHS Professionals.

Essentially you’ll work in the NHS as a member of staff but not be employed by the NHS as NHS Professionals is completely different to the NHS.
I'm doing Law!
Original post by Scienceisgood
What course are you doing by any chance? If it is a health care based course, you could try your luck at a company called NHS Professionals.

Essentially you’ll work in the NHS as a member of staff but not be employed by the NHS as NHS Professionals is completely different to the NHS.
Reply 6
Just wanted to say you are not on your own and to wish you well. Getting your degree will be worth it.

I think its absolutely outrageous that the maintenance loan in many cases doesn't cover basic costs without your income either supplemented by working part time or bank of mum and dad or combination of both. Just ridiculous. Working during the summer can also help towards year two costs to reduce financial pressure but unfortunately you really do need parental financial support if they can help and they need to do all they can to support you. Both of my two have summer jobs on top of what i contribute which i will come onto in a moment.

I do appreciate in some cases it can be a tough subject to discuss but make sure that your parents know that following the introduction of parent means testing, students no longer get the maintenance loan money they need to meet basic costs for attending University and that they're made aware of the government's expectation for them to contribute money. Show them this article:-

https://www.savethestudent.org/money/asking-parents-for-money-university.html

Print it off and give them the table. This is important because many parents are blissfully unaware that the government stitched up students and you no longer get the full loan you need and they are expected to contribute at least the means tested short fall between the £9,998 (call it £10k) true maintenance cost and what they actually award you following the testing. A lot of parents are caught out and totally unaware of this. In my case the short fall is £5,400 for each of my children!!

I have two children both at University, my wife and i earn just over the £63k between us (£38k/£26k) which sounds like a lot but its not due to the cost of living, mortgage etc etc but we are classed as better off than most parents. Both of my children get £ 4651 student finance maintenance loan yet my daughter who is at University of Bristol has to pay £8400 just for the rent alone. (trust me when i say whilst this is not the very cheapest accommodation its not the most expensive either) its just a bed in a room big enough to swing a cat and a small bathroom and shared kitchen facility, typical of most halls but its how it is.

In both cases, i contribute to them the £5,400 short fall each in the student finance each (£600 pcm x 9mths is what i pay) their grandparents also help. I share this highly personal information with you because its a massive factor and i know many parents who find it really difficult to financially support their children through University but they need to know what they should contribute, show them your maintenance loan letter, deduct from £10k and that's what they should be contributing as a starting point.

Its going to be tight for you, no sugar coating it but you will get through, its good of your parents to offer weekend support but that's not practical, you need time to bond with your peers on weekends, clubs and society groups meet ups, its part of the learning.

Hope my post helps? wishing you well going forwards.
Hi!

Hi there @dayaspersonalgf,

Have you thought about applying for a role as a Student Ambassador? Your university might be taking on applicants so it's worth having a look. This sort of job role makes it easy to fit work responsibilities around your studies and personal life.

Becoming a Student Ambassador will also look good on your CV and will help you meet new friends, get more involved in University life, take part in exciting activities and events and build your confidence.

Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:

All the best,
Sarah
Hi!

Hey @dayaspersonalgf
I'm sorry to hear that.
It is very common to find part time jobs on campus and as I saw, people have already given some excellent recommendations.
There are always bars and restaurants on and off campus that are hiring. On campus jobs will be slightly easier to land and will be a lot more convenient for you but off campus jobs can also be super useful.
To get a job on campus you simply just have to walk into the bar/restaurant most if the times and you can speak to a hiring manager there.
You can also try to find jobs at primark, maccies, subway etc on indeed.
You can also try to work as a student ambassador for your university. They do pay over minimum wage but you will have to follow a process, do interviews etc which could take some time. But yes, ambassador will also shine on your cv so you can apply for it anyways and later on pick up shifts that suite your timings and make some extra cash on top of your job.

If you want a more skill based job, I would suggest finding an online, remote job through linkedin or indeed.
I hope things work out for well :smile:

Vyomika (LU Student Ambassador)
Hi!

Do you have a car? If so petsitting is a create idea! University jobs are often available e.g. cafe, bar
Reply 10
Hi!

I'm also in university! See if you are elligble for any bursaries on your university's website and something else i do is use survey apps which i cash out although a little tedious i have cashed out £40 in the first week i used it and if you remain consistent can be a great source of income! I left my referral codes which give you money as well upon signing up!

Influence: https://bit.ly/44NIx2Y
Survey Spin code: PCURZA
Attapoll Code: dcbrn
Hi!

That's awesome of your parents :awesome: Another thing you might consider is once you know your address would they consider doing a food delivery to you? That would save you going home all the time? :smile: one thing my parents do at the start of each year is pack me off with a box full of dry food which is really helpful. Think rice, pasta, herbs, long life milk etc.

Regarding jobs, I would apply for places where you have a chance of getting free/discounted staff food, or good discount perks. Places like supermarkets your likely to get staff discount. Fast food places you're more likely to get free food on shift and discounted prices as a staff member. E.g. during uni so far I've worked at mcdonalds and I get pretty good discounts and free food on shift. Not the healthiest but it does save me buying my own food for a meal or two during days im at work :smile:

I would also check to see if you qualify for any low income bursaries at your university. Some universities do bursaries for various stuff e.g. if you have any disabilities, got good grades at A level, meet certain criteria etc. so it's definitely worth seeing if you qualify :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi!

Hey there @dayaspersonalgf !

You're already on the right lines with selling things and applying for interviews. I would say a great way to make money at university is to apply for your university's open day. They need students to show new prospective students around the campus and give insight into what life at that university is like. It's an easy job for the day and as far as I'm aware it pays quite well (depending on your university). You could also try applying for a student ambassador job (like I do for the Student Room). It's a great casual contract and it means you get to help other people which is quite rewarding. I ended up being a student ambassador alongside working as a bartender for a restaurant. If you work in a bar at a restaurant it's great because you won't finish work at an extremely late time as opposed to working in a late-night bar or working the bar of a nightclub.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Hi!

Hi there

I think those are good options that you could definitely try out.

Perhaps you can try looking out for opportunities on your University's (job) websites. (Or have a look at any University job opportunities during welcome week. Though this depends on your University.)

Some Universities offer jobs that prioritise recruiting their own students or graduates. So looking out for these can be a good idea.

In terms of financial support, you can also look out for help that is given on campus e.g. food banks that support students during the financial crisis. I used these services myself, and I found that they really helped me.

Best of luck with University & securing a job.
All the best
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending