The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

can i still get into kcl with my gcse results?

I want to do a psychology degree at kcl, but that requires a gcse maths grade 6 and I only got a 5. Could I still get in, if my A-Level results were great?
I would contact the admissions team to find out but theres a chance they wont accept you. If you can try to retake it :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I would contact the admissions team to find out but theres a chance they wont accept you. If you can try to retake it :smile:

I'm looking into retaking it now, but the issue is that I panic during exams, I'm normally a grade 6-7 in maths but exams make me panic, and I'm worried if I retake I'll get worse then I'm stuck with it. If I retake, do I get to choose which result I use or are they just like suck it up you get the retake, even if it's worse?!
I'm looking into retaking it now, but the issue is that I panic during exams, I'm normally a grade 6-7 in maths but exams make me panic, and I'm worried if I retake I'll get worse then I'm stuck with it. If I retake, do I get to choose which result I use or are they just like suck it up you get the retake, even if it's worse?!

You get the best result. GCSEs are often used to sift out applicants, so a retake is advisable.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
You get the best result. GCSEs are often used to sift out applicants, so a retake is advisable.

ok, I'll ask my head of year how much the cost is and when I can do it, etc. Worst case, I choose law degree as I got grade 9s in my essay subjects but I'd prefer Psychology
ok, I'll ask my head of year how much the cost is and when I can do it, etc. Worst case, I choose law degree as I got grade 9s in my essay subjects but I'd prefer Psychology

Other universities might be ok with a 5. Have a look around.

maths resit is free i think do check tho
Reply 7
KCL might give you a conditional offer if you show more potential. A stellar personal statement, work experience or reference can make them overlook that one grade (granted you are performing well in other academic subjects). Retaking the GCSE is a safer option. Even if the results are worse, it will take your highest score rather than the most recent one.
Reply 8
this has all been really helpful, and calmed me down a lot as it's a little harder to sleep when keeping myself panicking over this! I feel better now and I'll sleep on it and get to improving my grade and exploring other options later today. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 9
this has all been really helpful, and calmed me down a lot as it's a little harder to sleep when keeping myself panicking over this! I feel better now and I'll sleep on it and get to improving my grade and exploring other options later today. Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest