The Student Room Group

applying to 2 courses at the same uni, can personal statement be the same?

I am applying to 2 master's courses in UCL which are fairly similar (under one department). There is a separate application for each course. Is it possible to reuse personal statement or do I have to write a completely new one?
(edited 2 months ago)
It's possible, but you should tweak the statement for each course. Its very obvious when a more generic statement is submitted for multiple courses and you may miss out on a few points.
Original post by Hasia
I am applying to 2 master's courses in UCL which are fairly similar (under one department). There is a separate application for each course. Is it possible to reuse personal statement or do I have to write a completely new one?

Hi @Hasia

What courses is it that you are applying for? I would say you don't need to write a completely new personal statement but maybe just tweak it so that they are more relevant to each courses that you are applying for. For example in the intro you will of course need to change it to the specific course you are applying for and why you are applying for it, then in the main part focusing on the relevant experience you have that is related to the course. So check the course content and tailor your statement to focus more on your experience that matches the course. And then finally just summarising why you are the right candidate for that particular course.

It may take a bit more time to make these changes but it will hopefully be worth it and provide you with a better chance of being successful. Good Luck with the application process, I hope you are successful!

Any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending