The Student Room Group

gcse french

hey guys !!

i'm about to start year 11 , i'm not sure if i'm going to be able to do higher french . My teacher will decide before christmas who gets to do higher and who gets to do foundation . Ofc i should be aiming for higher , but it's a very difficult language . I've done my arabic gcse ( higher ) this year , is that sufficient ? Or will it look bad on my application that i've done foundation level french ?
Original post by Rosyrose123
hey guys !!

i'm about to start year 11 , i'm not sure if i'm going to be able to do higher french . My teacher will decide before christmas who gets to do higher and who gets to do foundation . Ofc i should be aiming for higher , but it's a very difficult language . I've done my arabic gcse ( higher ) this year , is that sufficient ? Or will it look bad on my application that i've done foundation level french ?

wait a minute you've done an arabic GCSE which I would class as one of the very hardest GCSE's now if you can do that you can definatley do French at GCSE - also the level doesnt matter too much its about the grade you get
Reply 2
Original post by Billmikestro
wait a minute you've done an arabic GCSE which I would class as one of the very hardest GCSE's now if you can do that you can definatley do French at GCSE - also the level doesnt matter too much its about the grade you get

Thank you for the advice :smile: yeah i agree i'm better off doing a level i'm confident at
It's never a bad thing to have an extra language! I'm a French tutor and do a French degree and my best advice is spend time on vocab - if you can get through 1500 words you'd find higher reading fairly easy. If you can get through 700 that'll make you super confident for foundation. It sounds like a lot, but if you think about how many words you already know (le, la, les and so on) then it sounds a lot less! Otherwise, make a list of tenses to go through, and for each just write out in a way you understand how to form each tense and then write out some practice sentences (I run, I ran, I will run etc) and little by little you'll get better.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by tiredgiraff
It's never a bad thing to have an extra language! I'm a French tutor and do a French degree and my best advice is spend time on vocab - if you can get through 1500 words you'd find higher reading fairly easy. If you can get through 700 that'll make you super confident for foundation. It sounds like a lot, but if you think about how many words you already know (le, la, les and so on) then it sounds a lot less! Otherwise, make a list of tenses to go through, and for each just write out in a way you understand how to form each tense and then write out some practice sentences (I run, I ran, I will run etc) and little by little you'll get better.

Good luck!

thank u !!

Quick Reply

Latest