The Student Room Group

What alevels shall I do?

I am taking double BTEC performing arts and need something to alongside at my sixthform. I enjoy both photography and English lit. These were my highes grades (7) and 4s in everything else. I was predicted to fail all my exams so I never thought of sixthform. I really want to take English lit. However I struggle with my attention span. I find it really hard to focus. This interferes with reading. I can often listen to audio books and watch films,plays. This is a technique I used during my GCSES. I knew all my texts inside and out and even annotated the copies. But I never sat down and just read it. We read in class but I never read independently. With alevels I know there is a lot more independence. Over the summer to get a head-start I have ‘read’ the great gatsby. This includes watching both films and have just got up to annotating the fourth chapter based of other annotations online and what I resonate with. However stereotypically your English student is somebody who loves to read for pleasure, sits and reads often. This is not me. Only once or twice I have read short books or listened to audio books. Should I take a-level literature even though I struggle to read? I just want to fit in. I am really excited around the subject. I actually write poetry and loved annotating and reading it. So that is not element I would struggle with. I also love reading plays as a drama student. It makes things easier to me when I know whose saying and doing what. I know immediately your thinking she can’t read no pick photography! But I feel that academic subjects are for everyone and not just readers. I don’t want to miss out just because of what’s wrong with me. But if anybody did have any tips on how to focus, read for pleasure and immerse my self into literature let me know. I broke the barrier in english GCSE of not being able. I do want to be a better student and improve myself . If anybody has any advice on how to read better please let me know. And does anybody have any friends who take lit when they do not read for pleasure? Thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by Llloubadl
I am taking double BTEC performing arts and need something to alongside at my sixthform. I enjoy both photography and English lit. These were my highes grades (7) and 4s in everything else. I was predicted to fail all my exams so I never thought of sixthform. I really want to take English lit. However I struggle with my attention span. I find it really hard to focus. This interferes with reading. I can often listen to audio books and watch films,plays. This is a technique I used during my GCSES. I knew all my texts inside and out and even annotated the copies. But I never sat down and just read it. We read in class but I never read independently. With alevels I know there is a lot more independence. Over the summer to get a head-start I have ‘read’ the great gatsby. This includes watching both films and have just got up to annotating the fourth chapter based of other annotations online and what I resonate with. However stereotypically your English student is somebody who loves to read for pleasure, sits and reads often. This is not me. Only once or twice I have read short books or listened to audio books. Should I take a-level literature even though I struggle to read? I just want to fit in. I am really excited around the subject. I actually write poetry and loved annotating and reading it. So that is not element I would struggle with. I also love reading plays as a drama student. It makes things easier to me when I know whose saying and doing what. I know immediately your thinking she can’t read no pick photography! But I feel that academic subjects are for everyone and not just readers. I don’t want to miss out just because of what’s wrong with me. But if anybody did have any tips on how to focus, read for pleasure and immerse my self into literature let me know. I broke the barrier in english GCSE of not being able. I do want to be a better student and improve myself . If anybody has any advice on how to read better please let me know. And does anybody have any friends who take lit when they do not read for pleasure? Thanks x

Hey there, congratulations on passing your GCSEs!

In my opinion you should go with your gut and take the subject you are enthusiastic to learn more about.You seem very enthusiastic about English Lit and it will flow well with your BTEC Performing Arts course. However, please note that A-Levels are harder than GCSEs so even though you got a 7 you will have to put a lot more work in to achieve A*/A at A-Level if you are aiming for top grades and the workload may be incredibly demanding at first.

About your attention span, I'm sure your sixth form will be able to accommodate your needs to help with your A-Level journey. There should be a team available that will be able to assist you such as allowing extra time during your exams or a reader if you feel like it would disadvantage you from other students taking the course. I would definitely let the sixth form know before enrolling regardless of the course you take as you can get services to help even if you may not need them.

I did A-Level Photography and can answer any questions relating it if you want to know more. :smile:
Original post by Llloubadl

Hey ! Let me start of by saying that from experience, pick the subject you enjoy and know you are good at. I changed from Physics to English Lit and it was the best decision I could have made.
Its great that you have started annotating and taking an interest because most students honestly don't start until they have been given the text. Its great that you have developed a technique that helps you learn your texts and actually, looking at movies and adaptations are a great way to get in a skill called Context into your work. I struggle with maintaining concentration too, but (depending on your teacher) they will go through individual chapters, giving notes and key quotes. By the time we would be on certain chapters, I had forgotten completely what happened in my texts while annotating in class,so a good tip is to look on 'spark notes', where they will give you a full break down of a text and short summaries - looking at these before class gives you a good refresh.
The fact that you were predicted to fail and got the amazing results that you did show your commitment, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. And about reading for fun, many of my friends hardly read at all besides the exam texts.
Congrats on your grades and feel free to ask any more questions. I can send you some good resources I'm currently using for English Lit if you decide to take it.Good luck!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest