The Student Room Group

Official Year 12 Chat 2023-24

Scroll to see replies

hello everyone i am in year 13 right now, but if you have any questions about psychology, sociology or spanish especially AQA i can try my best to answer any questions <3 :biggrin:!
Reply 41
Original post by Mashle
Sure thing. But you can't choose your own? WHo picks it then or is it still general courses?

Well for my school system, in Year 10 we are required to do 6 courses and 2 options (drama or art for example). Science Is Mandatory
In Year 11 for me, Science breaks up into 4 subjects which are, Physics, Chem, Bio, and regular Sciences. The rest of the other subjects are mandatory.

Physics, Chem, Bio are all optional, but anyone who wants to do more in life than work a job as a cashier in a supermarket after Year 12 has to take atleast 1 of these 3 preferentially Chemistry. The Majority of Canadian Unis require chemistry to apply.

So the only things we can pick is which Science stem we want to take (and some options like art), other than that, its all mandatory
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Noice_1
Well for my school system, in Year 10 we are required to do 6 courses and 2 options (drama or art for example). Science Is Mandatory
In Year 11 for me, Science breaks up into 4 subjects which are, Physics, Chem, Bio, and regular Sciences. The rest of the other subjects are mandatory.

Physics, Chem, Bio are all optional, but anyone who wants to do more in life than work a job as a cashier in a supermarket after Year 12 has to take atleast 1 of these 3 preferentially Chemistry. The Majority of Canadian Unis require chemistry to apply.

So the only things we can pick is which Science stem we want to take (and some options like art), other than that, its all mandatory

Oh wow that sounds tough. At A-Level we can literally picky whatever we want. And why Chem? Mainly the universities in England to my knowledge want maths because thats the basis and further maths is even better. Or even Physics. It sounds very tight in Canada.
Reply 43
Original post by Mashle
Oh wow that sounds tough. At A-Level we can literally picky whatever we want. And why Chem? Mainly the universities in England to my knowledge want maths because thats the basis and further maths is even better. Or even Physics. It sounds very tight in Canada.

Well, it's because its considered to be a central science which all science stems from it, I don't know why some careers in Technology require chemistry though. At least A-levels gives you more options lol. Thanks for sharing!

Basically the Holy Trinity for subjects here is Chemistry, Math, English. Without them, you can't do anything :|

Also, we have Further Maths here in highschools (with a different name of course). But this course is optional, and like a bonus, if you want extra preperation for University. It's only really useful since the subject gives an advantage to those who apply in engineering. (In addition to chemistry lol)
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 44
Hey, I'm Taylor and I go to Sixth Form at Treorchy Comprehensive. I am taking Maths, Physics, History, Computer Science and the Welsh Baccalaureate. My hobbies include playing rugby, playing online games, reading online light novels and going out with my friends. An extracurricular that is do is the rugby academy offered in my school. I am aiming for straight A* across the board. I want to do either Law or Engineering in Uni preferably a better one such as Oxford even though that is a longshot but would also like somewhere in London or something such as Durham.
Original post by scar-the-queen
Oooh was the song of achilles good? it's on my reading list! i'm reading king of scars :smile:

I enjoyed it and liked learning more about Greek Mythology but I don't think it was necessarily a 5 star like I have seen so many people rating it! I rated it a 4.25 on Storygraph!
I haven't heard of King of Scars, what is it about? (I know I could look it up but I'm interested to hear from you what you think of it) :biggrin:
(edited 7 months ago)
1. Hey, I'm Celia
2. Sixth form
3. Biology (9), Chemistry (9), Maths(9), Psychology
4. I love to read :smile: I also enjoy listening to music, and on the occasion writing :smile:
5. not much yet
6. A* hopefully
7. Medicine maybe at UCL or Bristo :smile:
8. flashcards or mindmaps
Original post by raindropxox
I enjoyed it and liked learning more about Greek Mythology but I don't think it was necessarily a 5 star like I have seen so many people rating it! I rated it a 4.25 on Storygraph!
I haven't heard of King of Scars, what is it about? (I know I could look it up but I'm interested to hear from you what you think of it) :biggrin:

Ooh nice! I've not read much of it so I can't really tell you that much, but it's set in the same universe as other books written by the author (Leigh Bardugo). I'd recommend reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy first (I'd give it 4/5 stars) then the Six of Crows duology (5/5 literally my favourite books) then the King of Scars duology! Shadow and Bone is about a girl who has the power to remove this dark area which was created agess ago called the fold and essentially save her country from a lot of bad stuff lol. Six of Crows is about a group which goes on heists and tries to save the world from a really bad drug - would recommend!!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Hawraa.A
What a year we've had!

It's official, we have finally made it out of the vomit-inducing GCSEs and will now have to dip our toes in unfamiliar waters.
So obviously it would be a whole debacle without a friend to turn to and who else is better than other poor humans who have no idea who you are but are in the same situation... well this is where TSR comes in.

Hiya TSRers THIS IS THE OFFICIAL 2023-2024 YEAR 12 CHAT THREAD

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
2. Sixth Form / College or SFC
3. A - Levels or Btecs or other and exam boards if you know them (along with your subject grade at GCSE if you did it)
4. hobbies
5. Extracurriculars for UCAS or otherwise
6. What grades you're aiming for
7. What Uni or Course (if you know)
8. Useful Revision Techniques for yourself

but most importantly don't stress because the worst is yet to come.

1. Chelsea
2. Sixth form
3. A-levels (Mathematics - GCSE:6, Physics - GCSE: 6, Computer Science)
4. reading manga..., going on hikes, anime, gaming
5. robotics club, senior prefect, strategic game club
6. girl idk. i just wanna go above and beyond...i'm just worried my gcses will put me behind. i want AAA though
7. Maths, Physics, CS or something related.
8.unsure *_*
Reply 49
Original post by Mashle
1. Hi, my name is Victor, and I am your basic glasses wearing guy who doesnt appear too much in mainstream school life but is there.
2. I'm in Sixth Form
3. I am now doing Further Maths and Physics at A-Level
Got 8 in both maths and physics at gcse along with all other sciences and computing, and then steadily lower grades through business (7), english (lan 7, lan 6) and history (5).
4. I love reading, gaming, bit of piano here and there, some model building/painting, hanging out with friends and having a laugh.
5. Zilch
6. A* hopefully.
7. Looking for Oxbridge or something on a similar level.
8. Read through absolutley everything and then re-write it down from memory in an engaging, colourful way, to make a nice knowledge organiser that I probably won't use but the writing is the revision.

Question: Is it a good idea to get a job right now, when I'm not sure exactly how heavy the workload of A-Levels will be?

Maybe wait a little until Christmas to get a job to give yourself some time to adjust :smile: (also the Mash pfp is great, what other anime's do u like to watch?)
Original post by 3uddha
1. Chelsea
2. Sixth form
3. A-levels (Mathematics - GCSE:6, Physics - GCSE: 6, Computer Science)
4. reading manga..., going on hikes, anime, gaming
5. robotics club, senior prefect, strategic game club
6. girl idk. i just wanna go above and beyond...i'm just worried my gcses will put me behind. i want AAA though
7. Maths, Physics, CS or something related.
8.unsure *_*

nice to meet you! good luck! :smile:
Reply 51
1. Albert, your basic STEM subject loving student
2. Sixth Form
3. Maths - Edexcel (9), Further Maths - AQA (9), Physics - AQA (9), Computer Science - OCR (9)
4. Mainly football (goalkeeper and centre back) and I play chess and online games too.
5. All A*s
7. Cambridge for Software/Hardware Engineering (Computer Science based courses) and maybe Maths or Medicine as a separate
8. I barely revise, but when I do I mainly summarise notes
Reply 52
Original post by 3uddha
Maybe wait a little until Christmas to get a job to give yourself some time to adjust :smile: (also the Mash pfp is great, what other anime's do u like to watch?)

Makes sense, its what im thinking to do, but also the summer is a great time to get a job since all the students who were working there but have moved on to work or uni etc have left empty spaces so theres lots of vacancies. I'm probably too late anyways tho so yeah

Ha thanks. That one is amazing, read the manga as well it goes much further its really good (I read it on mangareader.to). I also like demon slayer, bleach (classics), Chainsaw man, hells paradise, lycoris recoil, Spy X Family, Eighty-Six, Oshi No Ko (My Star, legendary), and a few others I cant remember now. But Mash is just so chill, i wacth it when I want to have a good laugh (I mean it is the most hiarious anime you'll find). WHat about you?
Reply 53
Original post by Noice_1
Well, it's because its considered to be a central science which all science stems from it, I don't know why some careers in Technology require chemistry though. At least A-levels gives you more options lol. Thanks for sharing!

Basically the Holy Trinity for subjects here is Chemistry, Math, English. Without them, you can't do anything :|

Also, we have Further Maths here in highschools (with a different name of course). But this course is optional, and like a bonus, if you want extra preperation for University. It's only really useful since the subject gives an advantage to those who apply in engineering. (In addition to chemistry lol)

That really is restrictive but I get where they are coming from. Normally physics is considered the core science (as far as I know) but ok.
I'm happy I dont have to do english anymore at a levels so thats the main thing for me. being able to give it up was the greatest thing about a-levels XD.
I'll probably do engineering so thats what im doing. Anyways, glad I could help. It was great hearing about what it's like fore you! :biggrin:
Reply 54
What a year we've had!

It's official, we have finally made it out of the vomit-inducing GCSEs and will now have to dip our toes in unfamiliar waters.
So obviously it would be a whole debacle without a friend to turn to and who else is better than other poor humans who have no idea who you are but are in the same situation... well this is where TSR comes in.

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
3. A - Levels or Btecs or other and exam boards if you know them (along with your subject grade at GCSE if you did it)
4. hobbies

Hi! My name is Sara! I’m in Sixth Form and am studying Biology (AQA), chemistry (AQA) and English lit (EDEXCEL)! I am currently writing my own book - for the fun of it - I participate in my schools newspaper and MUN conferences and I am currently social media manager in StemMed_connect on instagram! I’m aiming for a A in bio and English and a A/B for chemistry! I want to attend RCSI or BSMS to study medicine!
my favorite study technique is blurting, writing and revising past paper questions and understanding key terms and active recall!
What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

1. Hi, my name is Sude
2. Sixth form
3. History, Law, Psychology, Textiles
4. Reading, writing, sports- basketball, volleyboll and swimming to be specific, dancing, listening to music, drawing/ fashion design, skating, learning languages- spanish and korean
5. I actually don't know what to do but will start some online courses and talk to my school about it-- also I'm interested in studying either law or fashion at university, so if you have any ideas please let me know :smile:
6. A*A*A*A or A*A*AA
7. Law at Cambridge/ Oxford or Fashion Design at Central Saint Martins
8. Usually writing summaries, reading over notes and past papers
Reply 56
Original post by Sarsa25
Hi! My name is Sara! I’m in Sixth Form and am studying Biology (AQA), chemistry (AQA) and English lit (EDEXCEL)! I am currently writing my own book - for the fun of it - I participate in my schools newspaper and MUN conferences and I am currently social media manager in StemMed_connect on instagram! I’m aiming for a A in bio and English and a A/B for chemistry! I want to attend RCSI or BSMS to study medicine!
my favorite study technique is blurting, writing and revising past paper questions and understanding key terms and active recall!

Hi nice to meet you... but... blurting?
What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

My name is Emily
I am at my school's sixth form and I am doing psychology, sociology and health & social care for A-Levels. I got a 9 in health& social care at GCSE but didn't take psychology or sociology at GCSE
I am aiming for ABB
After I finish my A-Levels I want to go to uni to do an occupational therapy course
My revision technique is to use past papers and use BBC Bitesize.
kl

What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

1. Clover
2. Sixth Form
3. (with GCSE grades) Spanish (AQA, 7), History (AQA, 8), English Language (OCR?!, 7)
4. Language learning, writing, games!
5. EPQ
6. A*A*A
7. Philosophy + Linguistics, Philosophy + Modern Languages, or Liberal Arts (Philosophy/History concentration)
8. Flashcards! And past papers

Quick Reply

Latest