The Student Room Group

Theoretical Physics

I want to study theoretical physics at Uni. Is it essential that I have higher computing science or can I do a different subject?
Original post by ADBruce
I want to study theoretical physics at Uni. Is it essential that I have higher computing science or can I do a different subject?

No, it is in no way essential, universities will teach you the necessary programming and numerical skills if you do a theoretical physics course. Check out your target universities web sites for entry requirements and "preferred" A levels.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Tha k

Original post by Mr Wednesday
No, it is in no way essential, universities will teach you the necessary programming and numerical skills if you do a theoretical physics course. Check out your target universities web sites for entry requirements and "preferred" A levels.

Thank you, that's a great help, I wanted to switch to advanced higher English but wanted to be sure I didn't need computing before I dropped it. So that's a great help, thank you
Original post by ADBruce
Tha k

Thank you, that's a great help, I wanted to switch to advanced higher English but wanted to be sure I didn't need computing before I dropped it. So that's a great help, thank you

As long as you have physics and maths you are fine for most places. Some top ranked courses will however have a preference for further maths or another science so best to check out their web sites.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
As long as you have physics and maths you are fine for most places. Some top ranked courses will however have a preference for further maths or another science so best to check out their web sites.

I'm in Scotland and further maths isn't an option, but I'm doing advanced physics, advanced bio, advanced maths and now advanced english
Original post by ADBruce
I'm in Scotland and further maths isn't an option, but I'm doing advanced physics, advanced bio, advanced maths and now advanced english

That all sounds very solid, best of luck. You can always learn Python for fun on the side, that's definitely a useful and relevant skill.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending