The Student Room Group

Moving to university

When I join university, I want to travel down south to London. Anyone that did travel to university down there, how did you cope with the costs? How did you balance work and univesrsity? What jobs would you advice going into?
Original post by Anonymous #1
When I join university, I want to travel down south to London. Anyone that did travel to university down there, how did you cope with the costs? How did you balance work and univesrsity? What jobs would you advice going into?

Hi there

Moving to University can be difficult, especially if your campus is located in London. If possible, I would recommend asking your parents or friends to help you move down. I find it most convenient to move down by car, or by hiring a delivering company.

University is not just about studying, and it is crucial to find a suitable work-life balance. It really depends on how you study the best, and the amount of work load you are given each day or week. I find it useful to plan my week out ahead, knowing how much work needs to be done and allocating time slots to complete it really helps me get through my week.

In terms of jobs, it is a good idea to get a part-time job during University if you find the workload manageable. I think you should start applying early to increase the chances of securing a job. (bearing in mind that there are many new students at University who will be interested in getting a job). A good place to look is your University's job shop, or employability services. Universities often give good paid and balanced jobs that go quite well with your studies.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

Moving to University can be difficult, especially if your campus is located in London. If possible, I would recommend asking your parents or friends to help you move down. I find it most convenient to move down by car, or by hiring a delivering company.

University is not just about studying, and it is crucial to find a suitable work-life balance. It really depends on how you study the best, and the amount of work load you are given each day or week. I find it useful to plan my week out ahead, knowing how much work needs to be done and allocating time slots to complete it really helps me get through my week.

In terms of jobs, it is a good idea to get a part-time job during University if you find the workload manageable. I think you should start applying early to increase the chances of securing a job. (bearing in mind that there are many new students at University who will be interested in getting a job). A good place to look is your University's job shop, or employability services. Universities often give good paid and balanced jobs that go quite well with your studies.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you so much, this helps so much! I’ll definitely start looking into everything now!
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there,

Starting university is an exciting time, but also comes with many stresses and concerns.

I think that getting help from your parents or friends to move you into your accommodation would be the best idea. This makes it less stressful, more fun, and you are with someone familiar which makes the whole process easier.

Balancing work and university can be challenging and take some time, but as long as you put the effort in, you'll be alright. It depends on your subject, your workload, hobbies, part-time work, and anything else you like to do. As it has been said, planning your week ahead is essential (I think) for balancing my work and social life. I like to keep a calendar and planner to track exams, assessments, and other activities.

London is expensive, so looking for a part-time job in advance would be a great idea to get in ahead of all of the new students. Your university likely offers well-paid, flexible positions in many different parts of your school, so this could be a good place to start. Securing something early will help you to keep on top of the higher cost of living, and will also help you to adjust to a good routine!

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending