The Student Room Group

Looking for accommodation - Cambridge

Hello!
I'm an incoming international postgraduate student at the University of Cambridge but I have been unable to secure accommodation through my college. It's been difficult to find housing options, so looking for any leads or any information which would help me out with this process! I'm looking for double rooms ideally, and close to the city centre but flexible to all options.

Thanks in advance x
Have you signed up to the university accommodation services to see other accommodation options outside of colleges? There are accommodation blocks on the West Sites and Eddington, and they also advertise rooms in the federated colleges (i.e. the theological colleges) that are empty and available, as well as house shares/bedsits/etc with university staff members or students, plus a few other bits of accommodation scattered around the city (e.g. Causewayside Flats) :smile:

See here: https://www.accommodation.cam.ac.uk/
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Have you signed up to the university accommodation services to see other accommodation options outside of colleges? There are accommodation blocks on the West Sites and Eddington, and they also advertise rooms in the federated colleges (i.e. the theological colleges) that are empty and available, as well as house shares/bedsits/etc with university staff members or students, plus a few other bits of accommodation scattered around the city (e.g. Causewayside Flats) :smile:

Yes I have already signed up for the university accommodation services but I'm still on the waiting list and haven't been successful in finding properties/house shares as of now so considering other options but thank you! :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger

You sure know your stuff.

Just to put it out there, the service, unfortunately, hasn't been paying off for me. I've been on the waitlist for what seems like an eternity now. Also, the listings I'm eligible for are disappearing by the day. I think they went from about a daily average of 24 properties to 12 over the course one week. I've had several dead-end enquiries, though that might be speaking more to my approach than the listings.

Thanks to the forums, however, I am scanning through many accommodation matching sites I didn't know about.

Wish me luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SecondTasty

Just to put it out there, the service, unfortunately, hasn't been paying off for me. I've been on the waitlist for what seems like an eternity now. Also, the listings I'm eligible for are disappearing by the day. I think they went from about a daily average of 24 properties to 12 over the course one week. I've had several dead-end enquiries, though that might be speaking more to my approach than the listings.

Thanks to the forums, however, I am scanning through many accommodation matching sites I didn't know about.

Hi! Just saw your message but can't seem to reply back, think I need to wait a bit before I can do private messages on TSR (as I haven't been active on this for a while). Perhaps if you know another means of connecting, you could send it over on messages if you would like. I'm also at Wolfson!

And to add, in the exact same situation as you with the service. Wishing you the best of luck too!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by SecondTasty

Yeah that is the downside, when I worked there I was on the waiting list for an Eddington property for months :frown: at the time it was still being developed though so wasn't sure if things had improved since!

That said ur was still useful to search for flat shares and sublets and bedsits from/with others within the uni (although in the end I found somewhere else anyway). It's a starting point though :smile:

The rental market in Cambridge is a bit of a lottery really so some luck does go a long way!
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending