The Student Room Group

University and gap years

Hi I finished sixth form last year and took a gap year I’m wanting to do adult nursing in the hospital I work in they offer apprenticeships so this year I was going to take another year off and apply for the apprenticeship in the two enrolments they have because my dad wanted me to my place at uni is deferred till next year but I don’t want to wait another year lots of my friends are going this year and i feel if I wait another year I’m gonna be too far behind I want to go to uni for the experience but I don’t know id I’ve now left it too late to sort out and if a gap year is the best thing for me. Last year in my gap year I was extremely depressed to start with being the only one of my friends who stayed I’ve since made new friends a year younger but they are leaving too and I feel like I should go aswell
Original post by miawez123
Hi I finished sixth form last year and took a gap year I’m wanting to do adult nursing in the hospital I work in they offer apprenticeships so this year I was going to take another year off and apply for the apprenticeship in the two enrolments they have because my dad wanted me to my place at uni is deferred till next year but I don’t want to wait another year lots of my friends are going this year and i feel if I wait another year I’m gonna be too far behind I want to go to uni for the experience but I don’t know id I’ve now left it too late to sort out and if a gap year is the best thing for me. Last year in my gap year I was extremely depressed to start with being the only one of my friends who stayed I’ve since made new friends a year younger but they are leaving too and I feel like I should go aswell

Hiya,

First off this has to be solely your decision - you have to do what’s best for you.

Gap years can be very isolating, personally I lost most of my friends from sixth form because I was literally the only person taking a gap year so understandably they were going off doing their own thing and I was stuck by myself.

However once I went to uni, I’ve made a great bunch of friends who I feel I’ve known my whole life.

It can feel isolating but please know that this is only temporary.

If you want to do the apprenticeship, speak to the people who have done it or are currently doing it. If it excites and interests you, go for it!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Hey! I’m in the exact same situation, I applied to adult nursing in October 2022 then in September 2023 I deferred until next year. My reasoning was my health I am suffering quite a few issues, secondly I wasn’t sure if nursing was for me, since I’d never had any experience of it or working in a hospital.

I felt my decision was right for me as of now, I was up at night worrying about moving away, wasn’t really sure if it was what I wanted. So i just wanted to comment to say it’s not the end of the world to take time out to make up your mind. Make sure you really research the routes available to you and the best way before committing yourself. It's best you have some experience working within a hospital so you know what you'll be doing or the people you'll come into contact with. It doesn't really matter where as all experience is valuable when working in a hospital - for me I am working as a ward clerk before starting uni in 2024.

Hope this helps, remember you are not alone, do your research and there are always people struggling and can relate to your situation :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by el314
Hey! I’m in the exact same situation, I applied to adult nursing in October 2022 then in September 2023 I deferred until next year. My reasoning was my health I am suffering quite a few issues, secondly I wasn’t sure if nursing was for me, since I’d never had any experience of it or working in a hospital.

I felt my decision was right for me as of now, I was up at night worrying about moving away, wasn’t really sure if it was what I wanted. So i just wanted to comment to say it’s not the end of the world to take time out to make up your mind. Make sure you really research the routes available to you and the best way before committing yourself. It's best you have some experience working within a hospital so you know what you'll be doing or the people you'll come into contact with. It doesn't really matter where as all experience is valuable when working in a hospital - for me I am working as a ward clerk before starting uni in 2024.

Hope this helps, remember you are not alone, do your research and there are always people struggling and can relate to your situation :smile:

Hey, I went to uni in the end are you looking forward to going in 2024
Reply 4
Original post by miawez123
Hey, I went to uni in the end are you looking forward to going in 2024

Yes I am! Feeling a lot more confident now, how do is uni going, are you enjoying it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending