The Student Room Group

Forensic Psychology Masters

I want to take a forensic psychology masters degree but every uni course I look into requires me to have a degree in the similar subject area eg criminology, psychology, sociology but Im currently on my last year of my international relations politics degree. I really want to get into forensic psychology but I don't want to do a conversion year and want to stay in London. is there any ways around this? help would be great! thank you.
I'm afraid you really have to take a conversion course :frown: I appreciate that it means an extra year of education, but I hope you also appreciate that a masters will assume a certain previous knowledge of psychology, which you will lack due to your degree being an international relations and politics degree. If you end up choosing to do a conversion course (which I hope you do, to chase your dreams!), make sure it's BPS accredited.
Reply 2
Original post by Chrissyavila
I want to take a forensic psychology masters degree but every uni course I look into requires me to have a degree in the similar subject area eg criminology, psychology, sociology but Im currently on my last year of my international relations politics degree. I really want to get into forensic psychology but I don't want to do a conversion year and want to stay in London. is there any ways around this? help would be great! thank you.

As above, the only way to get into this career would be to do a conversion degree first. You need this in order to be eligible for chartered membership with the BPS, which you need for any psychology career. Other psychology careers, such as Clinical Psychology or Counselling Psychology, do not require a specific masters qualification, though, so you could consider these if you don't want to do a second masters course. However, you would still need to build up a good deal of relevant work experience in the field to realistically be considered for the doctorate programs.

Quick Reply

Latest