The Student Room Group

within criminology with psychology degree

If I want to become a forensic or criminal psychologist, Is it mandatory to do a master's degree. Or can I go straight ahead and do a job and work upwards.
Reply 1
Original post by stufftosay123
If I want to become a forensic or criminal psychologist, Is it mandatory to do a master's degree. Or can I go straight ahead and do a job and work upwards.

A Criminal Psychologist does not exist in the UK as far as i know, as it is an american term, which we call Forensic Psychologist. There are some purely research psychologist who call themselves criminologists but they are primarily non people facing roles.

@bones-mccoy will know more than me, as I am im a different branch of psychology. But yes for forensic psychology you will generally need an accredited masters and then a doctorate (can be gained on the job in a trainee forensic psychologist role). These are very competitive though.

Greg
(edited 6 months ago)
It depends which route you'd want to go down. There's two broad ways of becoming a qualified forensic psychologist, one via university and one via the BPS. If you chose the BPS route (Stage 2), you'd need a masters in Forensic Psychology but the first year of professional doctorate (university led, three years total) is equivalent to the FP masters so you wouldn't necessarily need the masters before applying.

Some universities offer a top-up course which is essentially the doctorate but without the first year but these aren't so popular. Most people end up doing the masters anyway as it opens up both routes to qualification and getting onto the Stage 2/doctorate is very competitive. You would also need to be in a role directly working with an offender population, such as an assistant psychologist or interventions facilitator.

Quick Reply

Latest