The Student Room Group

Student housing help!

I privately rented a house in Belfast for a number of years. Recently moved out at beginning of August but have yet to get my deposit back or even hear anything about it as landlord claims they are waiting on paint receipts. We are worried we aren't going to get our deposit back.

Anyway, during my tenancy theres been a number of other tenants, and each time a new TDS protection was opened for the deposit. The most recent tenant moved in back in April but we noticed today a new protection wasn't opened for her deposit.

Just wondering can anyone provide advice on what this means for me as my deposit had been protected in previous TDS protections but not for the most recent lease? The new tenant i believe can get hers back as it wasn't protected in 30 days but unsure of how this works for mine as it was protected for other leaves.

Any advice would be appreciated.
If you visit the Shelter website they have a template letter you can use to request the repayment of the deposit.
You could also log in to your TDS account and initiate the process from there instead.
As a Landlord myself, I believe that you should have the refund ASAP. And unless the damage to the painted walls is substantial, the landlord has to accept reasonable wear and tear and can't deduct this from the deposit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending