The Student Room Group

Help! Emetaphobia and teacher training

Hi, I’m 22 and I’ve just started my primary PGCE I really want to be a teacher as it’s something I’m passionate about but I suffer from emtaphobia and am absolutely petrified of picking up a tummy bug. I’m not great with vomit but the real fear comes from being sick myself especially in public places or at work. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations to help as it’s really causing me a lot of anxiety !
Reply 1
Original post by gayasorousrex
Hi, I’m 22 and I’ve just started my primary PGCE I really want to be a teacher as it’s something I’m passionate about but I suffer from emtaphobia and am absolutely petrified of picking up a tummy bug. I’m not great with vomit but the real fear comes from being sick myself especially in public places or at work. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations to help as it’s really causing me a lot of anxiety !

Both my kids have gone through primary school. None were in the vicinity of any vom incidents. Similarly, I have been in secondary for 5 years and despite going to Alton Towers ever year on a bus full of sugar injected children have also missed any vomit incidents. In other words, it doesn't really happen very much and when it does you just have to deal with it. It is all part of the job I'm afraid but your chances of experiencing it are very very low. You are more likely to see one kid absolutely massacre another kid than seeing a student being sick even at primary school.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Has literally never happened to me or to a kid I have taught and I have worked in both secondary (15 years) and primary (2 years).
I think you're saying that you're afraid of catching a tummy bug from the kids and it making you sick? (rather than having to deal with kids being sick). If so then have you thought about hypnotherapy? It can be really good for things like phobias.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending