The Student Room Group

Mining Crypto at University

Has anyone mined crypto at university. I have a good chunk of money I have made from trading and wanted to buy 20k-40k worth of miners to mine with the free electricity. Would there be repercussions to this? I suppose it depends on the letting agreement right.
Reply 1
Original post by HStudent_
Has anyone mined crypto at university. I have a good chunk of money I have made from trading and wanted to buy 20k-40k worth of miners to mine with the free electricity. Would there be repercussions to this? I suppose it depends on the letting agreement right.

bro said f using the heaters ill get a crypto rig 🤣out of curiosity what is the time frame for a roi form 20k on crypto rigs, i have a bunch sat collecting dust unfortunately

and the only repercussion would be if it there was a cap on the amount of electricity you could use in the letting agreement
I am quite certain there will be specific terms in your tenancy agreement about reasonable usage of utilities and that this would not qualify. Also there most certainly will be terms about any appliances in halls needing to undergo Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) for health and safety reasons, and your fleet for GPUs for mining are unlikely to pass that.
Reply 3
Original post by GenR66
Trust me, been doing it for months and before moving in halls I did it for years at other places off uni. It'll take them a while to twig on, just don't go smashing like 12 RTX 3090s in there. Set a goal like no more than 2000 watts because that's the average electric heater and get in a dorm/accommodation that has the most bedrooms possible. If asked you can play it off, they have to prove that YOU have used it first and if you have 20 people in a accomodation/dorm then it's better because everyone has a computer, heater, PS5, XBOX and the provider will have to work hard to prove unfair usage. Also check the lease because some lettings do have a part of the policy stating that they can charge you extra on top of your lease for unfair usage. Also try have your own Internet connection so they cant see what sites youve connected to (2miners or nicehash etc). If it's a giant building with 200+ rooms then even better, it's likely the energy bill will take into account the whole building. Good luck.

A big building might only have one meter that its electricity supplier uses for billing purposes, but the accommodation provider may well have their own sub-meters installed to log at a more granular level -- perhaps on a per-flat basis.

If you're using noticeably more power than other parts of the building that might trigger an investigation.
Reply 4
If one particular unit or area within a building is using significantly more electricity than others, this could indicate various problems such as faulty equipment, inefficient use of energy, or even unauthorized use (such as a business or cryptocurrency mining operation). In such cases, the building management or energy supplier may investigate to determine the cause of the unusually high energy consumption and take appropriate action.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending