The Student Room Group

Students accused of rape at university bringing lawyers to hearings

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I can see why some of the other posters feel that something this serious shouldn't be up a university committee to decide on. However, universities have a long tradition of independence and self-government. Obviously if it's a criminal accusation and the intention is to prosecute, that's a matter for the police and the courts, but if it's about excluding from a course or a college - that's another matter. I think the problem really is that universities are not properly geared up for quasi-judicial hearings on things like this, expulsion is severe and can have a drastic effect on someone's life chances. On the other hand, so can rape.

Not sure what the solution is, but if lawyers are being brought in at family cost for the rapist, then really the university should be providing legal representation for the complainant as well.

I think for a uni to even attempt to pass such a judgement of guilt is wrong and they should be escalating the matter as a crime, I don't think we can talk about just expulsion here, getting expelled for rape and such is going to have a hell of a knock on effect on someone's life than just the uni course, not trying to minimise the effects of abuses in anyway, just underlining that for an accusation this serious having it done by an unqualified panel with questionable oversight is crazy imo, we have a legal system and principles for a reason surely.

Shouldn't the complainer be paying for their own representation where possible if they want it? If the uni wants to take such an active funding position on the matter it needs to pay for everyone's representation, not one sides (this thread seems to have a presumption that the accused is rich and the accuser is poor) As these unis apparently stress, this isn't a court of law, so there isn't any of this enshrined right to legal representation at someone else's expense, and to me this all just points towards a uni not being the appropriate venue for the complaint.
Reply 21
Original post by StriderHort
I think for a uni to even attempt to pass such a judgement of guilt is wrong and they should be escalating the matter as a crime, I don't think we can talk about just expulsion here, getting expelled for rape and such is going to have a hell of a knock on effect on someone's life than just the uni course, not trying to minimise the effects of abuses in anyway, just underlining that for an accusation this serious having it done by an unqualified panel with questionable oversight is crazy imo, we have a legal system and principles for a reason surely.

Shouldn't the complainer be paying for their own representation where possible if they want it? If the uni wants to take such an active funding position on the matter it needs to pay for everyone's representation, not one sides (this thread seems to have a presumption that the accused is rich and the accuser is poor) As these unis apparently stress, this isn't a court of law, so there isn't any of this enshrined right to legal representation at someone else's expense, and to me this all just points towards a uni not being the appropriate venue for the complaint.

Having some experience of these things, it's not usually about saying 'they've committed rape', it's about the behaviour around it fitting in with the agreement the students sign up to when they take up their degre eprogramme. So it's a values thing, and about whether there is demonstrable evidence that behaviour around an allegation fits in with those values.

It's not an easy thing and it might sound like I am merely talking semantics, btu the practical differences are sizeable.
Original post by gjd800
Having some experience of these things, it's not usually about saying 'they've committed rape', it's about the behaviour around it fitting in with the agreement the students sign up to when they take up their degre eprogramme. So it's a values thing, and about whether there is demonstrable evidence that behaviour around an allegation fits in with those values.

It's not an easy thing and it might sound like I am merely talking semantics, btu the practical differences are sizeable.

No I do get what you mean, I think I'm trying to say that without a credible professional investigation into the events I feel it wouldn't be appropriate or safe for them to establish guilt in any way*, they shouldn't be half in/half out on investigating what would be considered a serious crime by most.

* - there obv maybe be clearly provable violations of a code which would be appropriate for them to judge on as isolated points.
Reply 23
No I do get what you mean, I think I'm trying to say that without a credible professional investigation into the events I feel it wouldn't be appropriate or safe for them to establish guilt in any way*, they shouldn't be half in/half out on investigating what would be considered a serious crime by most.

* - there obv maybe be clearly provable violations of a code which would be appropriate for them to judge on as isolated points.

Yeah, and if it is reported we will work in the light of the criminal process, of course. The sticking point is really that sometimes really **** behaviour is still really **** behaviour even if there's no criminal act determined.

It's not easy and in some ways it's not right, either. There is a gap between the courts and the processes therein and the University's own codes of conduct. How to bridge it, I'm not really sure. But I have personally been involved in a professional capacity in two very distressing scenarios in the past 12 months. One saw a criminal charge pursued, one did not. That's very difficult to navigate when it seems like regardless of a charge or conviction, someone has still behaved very, very inappropriately.
Reply 24
Original post by gjd800

So if I understand correctly the uni only comment on whether the behaviour of the individuals is in fitting with the values of the institution and not on the question of rape. In this case surely both the supposed victim and the supposed perpetrator could, and some will argue should suffer the same fate, as both may well have been so drunk as to bring disgrace to the reputation of the uni. But this doesn’t appear to be the case when the article is complaining about the legal representation of a supposed rapist, which implies that it is indeed the rape that is being judged by unqualified people in a hostile environment and this is the role of the courts, not academic institutions.
(edited 7 months ago)
Oh no, looks like England is going down the same old route as the usa with uni investigations or disciplinary proceeding involving student rape allegations. :afraid:

Next step will be accused students suing the unis for seven figure sums alleging victimization or mishandling of investigations into the claims, as has occurred with a former student of Pacific University.
Maybe some of the students who have alleged sexual assaults were committed against them on uni premises or by fellow uni students will also sue the unis alleging victimization, breaches of the unis duty of care or emotional injury arising from mishandling of uni investigations.
Uni rape is a real problem, someone in my halls was sexually assaulted on the first night of being there
Reply 27
Original post by Euapp
So if I understand correctly the uni only comment on whether the behaviour of the individuals is in fitting with the values of the institution and not on the question of rape. In this case surely both the supposed victim and the supposed perpetrator could, and some will argue should suffer the same fate, as both may well have been so drunk as to bring disgrace to the reputation of the uni. But this doesn’t appear to be the case when the article is complaining about the legal representation of a supposed rapist, which implies that it is indeed the rape that is being judged by unqualified people in a hostile environment and this is the role of the courts, not academic institutions.

I think the report is sensationalised. The lawyer is trying to avoid exclusion, and will challenge that based on whatever premise the institution would provide. It's not sitting there saying 'x is a rapist', it is saying 'on balance x behaved contrary to y value in the student agreement' etc.

I appreciate that people won't like this either but as I have already said, there need not be a criminal act evidenced to determine that behaviour has otherwise crossed lines.

Incidentally, when I read at Oxford you were technically barred by College by-laws from being drunk on any College premises.
Reply 28
Original post by londonmyst

Maybe some of the students who have alleged sexual assaults were committed against them on uni premises or by fellow uni students will also sue the unis alleging victimization, breaches of the unis duty of care or emotional injury arising from mishandling of uni investigations.

I do worry that this is where things will end up, regardless of what the institution did or did not do.
Reply 29
Original post by Kurt23
A very sad situation. Apparently, money decides everything.

No you are totally wrong on that one. Money doesn't come into it, self preservation does. Ultimately if your back is against the wall you rapidly have to decide what your life priorities are.

It is a very sad situation where social media mob rule is used as a witch-hunt by passing judicial safeguards.

I'm increasingly of the view that an independent legal review ought to be held, outside the authority of the university, but yes, it's a fair point that I was making an assumption about the relative affluence of the accuser and accused. I suppose if lawyers are being brought in, it's not unreasonable to think the university should pay for legal advice for both parties. It is getting ridiculous though and the reason is clear - extreme steps like expulsion, in response to very serious allegations, shouldn't be in front of amateur bods from university departments.
Original post by Gina is here
Uni rape is a real problem, someone in my halls was sexually assaulted on the first night of being there

It's widespread, the numbers are bigger than is generally reported because so many don't report, for a variety of reasons, including fear of the process currently being discussed here.
I'm increasingly of the view that an independent legal review ought to be held, outside the authority of the university, but yes, it's a fair point that I was making an assumption about the relative affluence of the accuser and accused. I suppose if lawyers are being brought in, it's not unreasonable to think the university should pay for legal advice for both parties. It is getting ridiculous though and the reason is clear - extreme steps like expulsion, in response to very serious allegations, shouldn't be in front of amateur bods from university departments.

Tbh I don't feel the uni should be paying anyone's legal fees, it's just not their place, but more making the point that they would need to fund everyone if they chose to be so actively involved rather than pick a side - but that leads to the issue of who is actually making the the complaint, is it the uni or the accuser or both?

In these cases described, we seem to be talking about the uni taking action to possibly expel a student, so the uni vs accused rather than accuser vs accused, so there seems less of a case for the accuser to have an entitlement to equal or paid representation - like if your car is stolen and someone is charged, it's the state vs them, they have a right to representation against the state prosecution, but the victim of the car theft doesn't - (admittedly I'm making some pretty big uneducated assumptions there and prob isn't that simple)
Tbh I don't feel the uni should be paying anyone's legal fees, it's just not their place, but more making the point that they would need to fund everyone if they chose to be so actively involved rather than pick a side - but that leads to the issue of who is actually making the the complaint, is it the uni or the accuser or both?

In these cases described, we seem to be talking about the uni taking action to possibly expel a student, so the uni vs accused rather than accuser vs accused, so there seems less of a case for the accuser to have an entitlement to equal or paid representation - like if your car is stolen and someone is charged, it's the state vs them, they have a right to representation against the state prosecution, but the victim of the car theft doesn't - (admittedly I'm making some pretty big uneducated assumptions there and prob isn't that simple)

I don't know what happens at these hearings or investigations - is it like a formal enquiry, with witnesses called, etc, or do they just read statements and hear from accuser and accused? That has a bearing. If it's more like a trial, there's more of a need for representation.

Actually, in most staff disciplinary hearings in big public organisations, like the police or health service for example, representation is pretty much expected and can be supplied by staff unions, etc. This appears to be a possible gap in university procedures, although again I don't know what actually happens.
It's widespread, the numbers are bigger than is generally reported because so many don't report, for a variety of reasons, including fear of the process currently being discussed here.

Exactly and the worse thing is some unis try sweeping it under the carpet and some males are the ones denying that there is a rape problem
Reply 35
Exactly and the worse thing is some unis try sweeping it under the carpet and some males are the ones denying that there is a rape problem

Using Uni hearings to process what is essentially a very serious allegation against another student is a bit like a 'passive aggressive' way of handling an alleged crime against another student and then using a University tribunal for that perceived insult or injury. it should not be happening.

Uni tribunals should not be used as a forum to make such serious allegations against another student. Uni's are caught in the cross fire of the current baying mob demanding 'justice' or the need to be seen to be doing 'something' against so called 'predatory males'. The UK courts, and lawyers have the experience, knowledge and ability to professionally pursue and deliberate about allegations for which an offender appear at court (allegations which are life destroying)

The police and courts have access to an offenders back ground and any previous reported allegations which a Uni tribunal will never have (unless that information has been made public at some stage) Uni's should be far stricter in their process where sexual assault is alleged. Whilst encouraging victims to seek help, sign posting them to the correct agencies and getting support from SARC's, they should encourage the victim to report the allegations to the police. After there is an outcome following a criminal or civil court hearing Uni's can decide how to manage the evidence and result. Uni personnel should not be used as judge and jury because it is an easier option than going to court. Employment laws cover allegations against employed staff members but this should not be used in the same way for student allegations.
Original post by Muttly
Using Uni hearings to process what is essentially a very serious allegation against another student is a bit like a 'passive aggressive' way of handling an alleged crime against another student and then using a University tribunal for that perceived insult or injury. it should not be happening.

Uni tribunals should not be used as a forum to make such serious allegations against another student. Uni's are caught in the cross fire of the current baying mob demanding 'justice' or the need to be seen to be doing 'something' against so called 'predatory males'. The UK courts, and lawyers have the experience, knowledge and ability to professionally pursue and deliberate about allegations for which an offender appear at court (allegations which are life destroying)

The police and courts have access to an offenders back ground and any previous reported allegations which a Uni tribunal will never have (unless that information has been made public at some stage) Uni's should be far stricter in their process where sexual assault is alleged. Whilst encouraging victims to seek help, sign posting them to the correct agencies and getting support from SARC's, they should encourage the victim to report the allegations to the police. After there is an outcome following a criminal or civil court hearing Uni's can decide how to manage the evidence and result. Uni personnel should not be used as judge and jury because it is an easier option than going to court. Employment laws cover allegations against employed staff members but this should not be used in the same way for student allegations.

So called predatory males? Not so called, there are plenty of predator males even amongst the uni students
Reply 37
I can see why some of the other posters feel that something this serious shouldn't be up a university committee to decide on. However, universities have a long tradition of independence and self-government. Obviously if it's a criminal accusation and the intention is to prosecute, that's a matter for the police and the courts, but if it's about excluding from a course or a college - that's another matter. I think the problem really is that universities are not properly geared up for quasi-judicial hearings on things like this, expulsion is severe and can have a drastic effect on someone's life chances. On the other hand, so can rape.

Not sure what the solution is, but if lawyers are being brought in at family cost for the rapist, then really the university should be providing legal representation for the complainant as well.

i hear ya; it's a conundrum. ig, in theory, potentially the university could afford a lawyer for the complainant based on principles of natural justice/fairness. but then why should the uni pay the legal fees for the complainant and not the respondent if they can't afford one? i mean it wasn't even the respondent's idea to be there.

albeit uni is not a courtroom, but on the 'civil' (lmao) side of law, note each party pays for its own solicitor or shows up without one; there's no equivalent to free cps for any form of contract law. that's why that one tsr user wants to criminalise the equality act 2010 so badly cuz they need a free lawyer for their disability discrimination.

fortunately for the uni and the complainant, these are fringe cases where legal representation may be permitted after satisfying the legal test in ex parte Tarrant (para 59, para 88) and other cases as mentioned in AB v The University XYZ above. it's repeated paragraph after paragraph about how the university must take into account the seriousness of the allegations, the evidence, the potential consequences of the accused being expelled etc. this judgment doesn't open a free-for-all.

note para 88 - disciplinary proceedings should not become too adversarial. **Permitting legal representation should not be routine.**

the guardian casually omits that part tho which makes it sound like the floodgates have opened and there's a shitstorm of lawyers coming out to defend potential rapists cuz that creates a story. unlikely to be the case when reading the actual precedent.

ofc it sucks tho that students won't know if legal reps may be permitted untill after they have reported the incident and an investigation is at least partially underway cuz it's decided on a case-by-case basis after examining the facts and complexity of the complaint. there's no way around this without the university guaranteeing a legal rep tho, which won't and shouldn't happen.
So called predatory males? Not so called, there are plenty of predator males even amongst the uni students

That bit of semantics was the only part of the debate you felt it worth engaging with? :s-smilie:

It's 'so called' because it's lazy emotive tabloid labelling, like 'lefty lawyers', 'feminazis' and 'immigrant' vermin', it casts a wide net to get you angry, but individuals should be able to recognise these are not helpful terms to throw about for groups, otherwise you end up with those screaming that the uni are 'rape lovers' or whatever for refusing to build a gallows in the atrium.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Genesiss
i hear ya; it's a conundrum. ig, in theory, potentially the university could afford a lawyer for the complainant based on principles of natural justice/fairness. but then why should the uni pay the legal fees for the complainant and not the respondent if they can't afford one? i mean it wasn't even the respondent's idea to be there.

Thanks for the info about the law around disciplinary hearings, very interesting.

The problem about rejecting all enquiries or hearings at the university level into rape allegations (not implying this is your specific position, just making a general point) is that women students who have been raped invariably have to continue (if nothing is done) to be alongside the rapist in classes, at events on campus, etc, which can be truly awful. Another point is that if male students are going around raping (and those men who do this, tend to do it more than once), other women on campus deserve protection from them. A university should be a safe place to study for everyone, but many students live there as well during term time and some all year round. It's not the same as rape in a more anonymous or detached context, such as a woman being attacked by someone she barely knows or does not know on a night out in a city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending