The Student Room Group

insecure about gcse grades

i got 99888877 7s in sciences and 9s in maths and english lit and i feel kinda insecure that im not that competitive enough against other people especially those that went grammar or private - i wanna apply to lse, kcl, ucl etc but idk my grades average to a grade 8 and ik people say that's good be proud but how can i be if there are people that got 11+ 9s
You'll be fine for 90% of undergrad courses in the UK with those grades.

If you apply to 3 or more highly competitive courses+unis then you may receive rejections but that is the same risk regardless of your GCSE results.
Reply 2
Yeah, even people with all 9s and all A star predictions get rejections from some uni courses as there are just too many people. You too might get rejected…but you’d be the same as the others applying who usually find if they go for maybe 3 or 4 of the big name Econ courses, only get 1 offer.

So, if you’re going for something ultra competitive, go into it knowing you’re unlikely to get all offers anyway. It won’t be due to your GCSEs. Make sure you’ve got a couple which are not quite so competitive…doesn’t necessarily even mean they want higher grades. Your GCSEs will be more than adequate as long as you’ve got the needed A Level predictions.

Everyone is worried others are better than them. Your grades are great.
Reply 3
Original post by Wombat11
Yeah, even people with all 9s and all A star predictions get rejections from some uni courses as there are just too many people. You too might get rejected…but you’d be the same as the others applying who usually find if they go for maybe 3 or 4 of the big name Econ courses, only get 1 offer.

So, if you’re going for something ultra competitive, go into it knowing you’re unlikely to get all offers anyway. It won’t be due to your GCSEs. Make sure you’ve got a couple which are not quite so competitive…doesn’t necessarily even mean they want higher grades. Your GCSEs will be more than adequate as long as you’ve got the needed A Level predictions.

Everyone is worried others are better than them. Your grades are great.

thank you this is so reassuring, i wanna apply to lse to study actuarial science and rn im doing bio, chem, maths and fm hoping to achieve As to get into the course

Quick Reply

Latest