The Student Room Group

Is this fair and does this make her insecure

Is your partner having friends of the opposite gender seen as insecure since not only they are her university classmates yet ever since she’s finished university for the year she’s been talking to them, while if I were to have opposite gender friends my partner would be insecure over it I respect my partners insecurities and I don’t mind her having the opposite gender friends yet if it made me uncomfortable I would tell her yet she feel’s it’s okay to have their socials to contact them on and she feels insecure over the fact of me having for example a distant work colleague who used to be my friend as a friend for me to talk to and as a contact…
Reply 1
Your partner is definitely being unfair, because she has set different standards between you both. In a relationship it is impossible for your partner to constantly avoid people of the opposite gender and it's unfair for you because she is isolating you whilst doing whatever she wants and that is not respectful of her.

I'd say it is an issue if a friend starts behaving strangely with either of you or is being flirtatious, that is when you would distance yourself out of respect for your partner but if there are people in your life who simply want to be friends and nothing more then you deserve to have people like that too whether it's colleagues, someone that helps you out or someone from school - it doesn't matter. It is kind of you to be so considerate towards your partner, however you're being unkind to yourself in the process and this situation isn't right.
Reply 2
Original post by Bean_cat
Your partner is definitely being unfair, because she has set different standards between you both. In a relationship it is impossible for your partner to constantly avoid people of the opposite gender and it's unfair for you because she is isolating you whilst doing whatever she wants and that is not respectful of her.

I'd say it is an issue if a friend starts behaving strangely with either of you or is being flirtatious, that is when you would distance yourself out of respect for your partner but if there are people in your life who simply want to be friends and nothing more then you deserve to have people like that too whether it's colleagues, someone that helps you out or someone from school - it doesn't matter. It is kind of you to be so considerate towards your partner, however you're being unkind to yourself in the process and this situation isn't right.

With all due respect in regards to the opposite gender I am strict to whether I talk to them or not in regards to our relationship I will always be respectful by never talking to them or keeping any form of contact or having their socials, I am loyal and loyal throughout that’s what I value, what I don’t find right is this how I don’t have contacts of girls on my phonebook or socials yet she has contacts of her university guy classmate on snap and phonebook like even though I don’t want it that’s unfair and I have noticed this her response time has happened to change sometimes she’s on snap most likely viewing stories and opening snaps yet it my messages go unnoticed like for example she opened snaps today, yet my message wasn’t opened for 2 hours yet in between she was active on snap. Though she claimed she was getting her sibling ready whilst cleaning and eating although she had left…to go on a visit with her family to another house…
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
With all due respect in regards to the opposite gender I am strict to whether I talk to them or not in regards to our relationship I will always be respectful by never talking to them or keeping any form of contact or having their socials, I am loyal and loyal throughout that’s what I value, what I don’t find right is this how I don’t have contacts of girls on my phonebook or socials yet she has contacts of her university guy classmate on snap and phonebook like even though I don’t want it that’s unfair and I have noticed this her response time has happened to change sometimes she’s on snap most likely viewing stories and opening snaps yet it my messages go unnoticed like for example she opened snaps today, yet my message wasn’t opened for 2 hours yet in between she was active on snap. Though she claimed she was getting her sibling ready whilst cleaning and eating although she had left…to go on a visit with her family to another house…

I respect that and it's totally fine to do that, it seems as though you both value different things because she thinks it okay and you don't. I understand your viewpoint and it is worth talking to her about it because it is clearly making you uncomfortable, it is annoying when someone does things like that especially if it is someone you are close with. You could also wait and see how things go before making any further comments, because in all honesty it could be that she had left her snap app open and she was in fact busy with other things.
Reply 4
I respect that and it's totally fine to do that, it seems as though you both value different things because she thinks it okay and you don't. I understand your viewpoint and it is worth talking to her about it because it is clearly making you uncomfortable, it is annoying when someone does things like that especially if it is someone you are close with. You could also wait and see how things go before making any further comments, because in all honesty it could be that she had left her snap app open and she was in fact busy with other things.

But she’s doing that even now she said the battery to her phone is dying yet she can check her snap but not my messages
Reply 5
But she’s doing that even now she said the battery to her phone is dying yet she can check her snap but not my messages

I don't think she can completely cut off these people that she is speaking to, especially if they are on her uni course, but I guess you could ask if she could keep her distance from them by not messaging them as much. To be honest, sometimes I'm in the mood to text some people more than others; with or without reason depending on how I'm feeling throughout that day, it could be the same for her and she will have busier days than some. It could also be that she's talking about uni grades with her classmates as grades are being released during this time. Unfortunately there's not much else that you can do besides communicating with her how you feel about her talking to others and not responding to your texts as quickly as you'd hope. It's sad to say but just because you have all these values of respect and loyalty it doesn't necessarily mean your partner will reciprocate these - so these concerns of yours might not carry the same weight in her eyes. I hope things get better for you though.
Reply 6
I don't think she can completely cut off these people that she is speaking to, especially if they are on her uni course, but I guess you could ask if she could keep her distance from them by not messaging them as much. To be honest, sometimes I'm in the mood to text some people more than others; with or without reason depending on how I'm feeling throughout that day, it could be the same for her and she will have busier days than some. It could also be that she's talking about uni grades with her classmates as grades are being released during this time. Unfortunately there's not much else that you can do besides communicating with her how you feel about her talking to others and not responding to your texts as quickly as you'd hope. It's sad to say but just because you have all these values of respect and loyalty it doesn't necessarily mean your partner will reciprocate these - so these concerns of yours might not carry the same weight in her eyes. I hope things get better for you though.

Thanks the academic year for her is over though so I wonder why she’d talk to those classmates I could understand if she talks to her friends in general but…
Reply 7
Thanks the academic year for her is over though so I wonder why she’d talk to those classmates I could understand if she talks to her friends in general but…

She is probably friends with those classmates or they're talking about uni stuff - its worth asking her about this if it seems strange?
Unless there is specific reason for mistrust, I don't think it's fair for people to make their insecurities into other peoples limitations.
Is your partner having friends of the opposite gender seen as insecure since not only they are her university classmates yet ever since she’s finished university for the year she’s been talking to them, while if I were to have opposite gender friends my partner would be insecure over it I respect my partners insecurities and I don’t mind her having the opposite gender friends yet if it made me uncomfortable I would tell her yet she feel’s it’s okay to have their socials to contact them on and she feels insecure over the fact of me having for example a distant work colleague who used to be my friend as a friend for me to talk to and as a contact…

Is this (in fact) a re-wording of the "Can men and women ever (really) be just friends?" debate :hmmmm:

IMHO, in a university environment, you're constantly meeting new people of either sex, so in that context, I'd say it could be innocent (although, I don't know the specifics of your case). Given the combination of lectures, tutorials / seminars and group study, they'll be spending a lot of time together, so it's inevitable some of them will become close. It's different if, say, you left school and went straight into a typical male or female dominated environment (e.g. mechanic, hairdressers etc.) and you then got "pally" with a regular client.

However, the double standards thing you mentioned does throw up a few questions in my head:-

1) Was there "history" between you and your work colleague
2) Has she been cheated on before?
3) Does she (or you) consider yourself to be (dare I say it) "out of her league?"
4) Has she ever met your former work colleague?
5) Have you ever met ay of her coursemates?
(edited 10 months ago)

She is probably friends with those classmates or they're talking about uni stuff - its worth asking her about this if it seems strange?

This.

As I said, given the amount of time they've spent together, they're probably close. IMHO, you've only got grounds for concern if she's continuously chatting to one person in particular.
Reply 11
Probably unfair but bear in mind people dont tend to be able to help how they feel in that regard.. have a chat with her about it and see if you can work it out somehow?
Plus, worth bearing in mind, but life doesn't tend to be fair.. especially regarding emotions and going through life expecting them to be will likely result in issues.

I think she may be cheating on you
Reply 13
Original post by A jaded girl
I think she may be cheating on you

I have trust and faith in my partner to know she’d never do that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending