The Student Room Group

my maths and physics grade

i really would love to study physics at university - i've had a passion for it for an incredibly long time, and generally have been playing with the idea of applying to oxbridge?!

however i got my gcses today, and i underperformed in both - i was predicted a 9 in both, got an 8 in both. i know its ridiculous as they're incredibly similar in grade value, however its still disheartening to only underperform *in the two subjects i cared about most* :')

in general i have gotten all 8s/9s, and im incredibly chuffed (besides the one mark im gonna contest for in bio to bump it up to an 8 xd) but would a high ranking uni question why i want to study a subject that i didnt perform my best in?

i know this seems a bit stupid, but i cant help overthinking - tsr overachiever stereotype much! i guess my concern is just coming out of a place of 1. insecurity 2. pressure from family :/

im also going to do chemistry at a level, so maybe considering a natsci course instead of pure physics could be good? gotta see how i even perform in a levels at first LOL

i come from a school on the lower side of average in terms of attainment, so i know my results will be contextualised. i just feel like an absolute clown for overestimating my physics and maths skills and it coming back to bite me in the butt ;D
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
i really would love to study physics at university - i've had a passion for it for an incredibly long time, and generally have been playing with the idea of applying to oxbridge?!

however i got my gcses today, and i underperformed in both - i was predicted a 9 in both, got an 8 in both. i know its ridiculous as they're incredibly similar in grade value, however its still disheartening to only underperform *in the two subjects i cared about most* :')

in general i have gotten all 8s/9s, and im incredibly chuffed (besides the one mark im gonna contest for in bio to bump it up to an 8 xd) but would a high ranking uni question why i want to study a subject that i didnt perform my best in?

i know this seems a bit stupid, but i cant help overthinking - tsr overachiever stereotype much! i guess my concern is just coming out of a place of 1. insecurity 2. pressure from family :/

im also going to do chemistry at a level, so maybe considering a natsci course instead of pure physics could be good? gotta see how i even perform in a levels at first LOL

i come from a school on the lower side of average in terms of attainment, so i know my results will be contextualised. i just feel like an absolute clown for overestimating my physics and maths skills and it coming back to bite me in the butt ;D

A top uni will be more interested in your performance at A levels. If you can show progression from GCSE -> A level (so A to A* grades) then that will impress them more as it is an upwards trajectory :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by davros
A top uni will be more interested in your performance at A levels. If you can show progression from GCSE -> A level (so A to A* grades) then that will impress them more as it is an upwards trajectory :smile:

thank u so much for this! just needed a reminder that i am doing well, i tend to worry a lot when something isnt exactly as planned :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending