The Student Room Group

is it normal to not have a specific friend group at this point in uni?

I know its silly because ive moved in on Sunday but I still feel like I havent found 'my group' of people.
like I go clubbing with my flatmates and theyre super nice, but I wouldnt consider them friends. and ig im just scared I wont make friends
Reply 1
I am in second-year and my friendship group was created during seminars, so I think it takes some time to have friends. There are many societies/clubs that you can attend.
Original post by Anonymous
I know its silly because ive moved in on Sunday but I still feel like I havent found 'my group' of people.
like I go clubbing with my flatmates and theyre super nice, but I wouldnt consider them friends. and ig im just scared I wont make friends

I feel you! I’m in second year now and I wasn’t particularly close with any of my flatmates last year. I did meet some people through my uni’s official freshers chat but my friend group are people who are in my course/similar modules!! And even if you end up not finding your group of people it’s ok uni is temporary not forever
Reply 3

It's not even been a week, so don't worry! Took me a few months to find some people to sit next to in lectures, then only really in second year started to get a bit closer to people.
Do you do any sports/are you thinking of joining a club? Or a society? They're good ways to meet others with similar interests, and you're doing something fun as well :smile:

Hi Anon,

It is normal to feel this way, but don't worry too much! As you said, you moved in on Sunday, so it is still super early in the year. It may take time for you to find your 'group' of people, which is totally normal.

There are plenty of opportunities to make friends in university, such as on nights out, accommodation, your course, your work, sports and societies, and through so many other things you'll get involved in. You may only find one or a few people who you really enjoy hanging out with, so don't place too much importance on finding a 'group'.

Personally, it took me a few months to feel truly comfortable with my current close friends (I met them in accommodation). It takes time, but don't worry about it! Focus on your studies and enjoying yourself, and you'll find your people.

Best of luck,
Isabella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending