The Student Room Group

Rishi Sunak delays ban on new petrol and diesel cars

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emma:-)

Bimingham and Nottingham might have decent public transport. But there is certainly room for improvement. Outside of the cities though, the public transport is deffo in need of improvement. And i can say that as i live in the midlands myself.

Yeah I agree
As well as the fact that electric cars are too expensive, the infrastructure for them is no where near good enough yet. Quite a few places dont have charging points, and those that do dont have nearly enough. What about people who live in terraced houses/have no off road parking- how are they meant to charge their cars?
People could use public transport, but public transport isnt nearly good enough. The only place where public transport is good enough is london.

Yips, no motive for me to buy one. I live in a 1st floor flat and stay in a rural enough place where range and limited public transport are serious considerations. I couldn't even tell you where nearest charging is.
Original post by StriderHort
Yips, no motive for me to buy one. I live in a 1st floor flat and stay in a rural enough place where range and limited public transport are serious considerations. I couldn't even tell you where nearest charging is.

Yeah, there deffo needs to be a lot of improvements before i consider buying one.
Reply 43

Eight places listed here in Kilmarnock with free EV chargers.

https://www.ayrshireroadsalliance.org/Parking-Information/Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Points/Charge-your-car.aspx

Ayrshire is right general area but I'm not in Kilmarnock, I wouldn't have called it seminrural
Reply 45
Ayrshire is right general area but I'm not in Kilmarnock, I wouldn't have called it seminrural

Cumnock has free charge too given that list :-)

I'd assume the whole point if getting a car would be to 'go places. I'm imagining you don't have a petrol station beneath your flat either.

Obvious a home charger install is more convenient, but then the power ain't free.
Bimingham and Nottingham might have decent public transport. But there is certainly room for improvement. Outside of the cities though, the public transport is deffo in need of improvement. And i can say that as i live in the midlands myself.

I don't know Nottingham, but I've spent some time getting around Birmingham, mostly the southern part around the university and up into the city centre. I didn't find it very good. The buses are fairly frequent, but they are frequently jammed up in traffic. (Admittedly this was a few years ago and they may have made progress on bus lanes since then.) There are some railway lines which tend to be overcrowded and not very clean or well maintained. I also used the trams once and they were fairly good, but I would say not as good as Manchester.
Original post by Quady
Cumnock has free charge too given that list :-)

I'd assume the whole point if getting a car would be to 'go places. I'm imagining you don't have a petrol station beneath your flat either.

Obvious a home charger install is more convenient, but then the power ain't free.

I'm not on that list. Actually my petrol station is a 5 min walk and I could certainly take fuel cans to another station such as Kilmarnock if I ran out at home or indeed store one in my vehicle.

Having vehicles to go places doesn't mean that I like constant range anxiety and fear of being stranded due to sporadic infrastructure.
Reply 48
I'm not on that list. Actually my petrol station is a 5 min walk and I could certainly take fuel cans to another station such as Kilmarnock if I ran out at home or indeed store one in my vehicle.

Having vehicles to go places doesn't mean that I like constant range anxiety and fear of being stranded due to sporadic infrastructure.

Other lists are available. Just you might well need to pay for the lecy.

Range anxiety for something with a <100m range fair enough, but with cars now routinely doing 250+m I dont see it so much of an issue. I get range anxiety when under 40mins range left in a ICE vehicle, not much difference in that with an EV. The equivalent of the fuel can is a three pin plug.
Original post by Quady
Other lists are available. Just you might well need to pay for the lecy.

Range anxiety for something with a <100m range fair enough, but with cars now routinely doing 250+m I dont see it so much of an issue. I get range anxiety when under 40mins range left in a ICE vehicle, not much difference in that with an EV. The equivalent of the fuel can is a three pin plug.

As said, I don't know know of any where I live.

Range anxiety isn't yours to gatekeep and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere sucks either way. Carrying a petrol can is fully within my control, access to a plug socket isn't. As much as a brand new EV might have such range, I doubt a used one of the range I could afford has that reassurance.
Reply 50
As said, I don't know know of any where I live.

Range anxiety isn't yours to gatekeep and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere sucks either way. Carrying a petrol can is fully within my control, access to a plug socket isn't. As much as a brand new EV might have such range, I doubt a used one of the range I could afford has that reassurance.

Range anxiety is a very personal issue. As I said, for me it's when I get to 40 miles left in the tank. What is it for you?
Thr altmerates need to be near bullet proof before the ban really
Original post by Andrew97
Thr altmerates need to be near bullet proof before the ban really

Yes and all evidence is that they will be nowhere near that on current trends. Basically the government announced this sweeping root and branch change to how we live and yet has lazily done almost nothing since then other than vague gestures to implement it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending