The Student Room Group

Having some trouble with choosing an appropriate third A-Level subject

I currently take computer science, mathematics and politics. Looking to study computer science at university and settle into a cyber security career. I have passion for CS and maths, but I was a bit wobbly on choosing politics as I did not have good enough grades to do a science which I deeply regret.. All the subjects have left to switch to are just BTECH's and humanities and social sciences. I really don't want to do an essay based subject and would prefer something that is more applied. From these subjects I'm also worried about their reputation.
Reply 1
Does your school do further maths? Because that would be helpful for cs at uni

I don't think it matters too much for your third subject, just pick one your good at. Most unis only really care about having maths as an a-level for cs
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by bears15
Does your school do further maths? Because that would be helpful for cs at uni

I don't think it matters too much for your third subject, just pick one your good at. Most unis only really care about having maths as an a-level for cs

It does but I didn't quite get the required grade
Original post by DjakeX
I currently take computer science, mathematics and politics. Looking to study computer science at university and settle into a cyber security career. I have passion for CS and maths, but I was a bit wobbly on choosing politics as I did not have good enough grades to do a science which I deeply regret.. All the subjects have left to switch to are just BTECH's and humanities and social sciences. I really don't want to do an essay based subject and would prefer something that is more applied. From these subjects I'm also worried about their reputation.

I don't know if this is going to help your current situation but as a rule of thumb: - take one subject you're good at, one subject you need at uni, and one that you like
What are your interests?

Something like economics could be a good balance between critical thinking and essay writing. Unfortunately with the options you have you can’t really avoid essay writing.
If you can't take FM, then any other subject is fine and will be seen equivalently by unis. There is no preference for your third subject for CS to be a science subject.

Whether you did politics or biology or philosophy or chemistry or English lit or physics or art, it would be the same as long as you got the same grade. The only subject which might change the picture (at only a few unis) is FM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending