The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Need to change course at Newcastle

Hi,
Posting on behalf of my son who is due to start a BEng in Civil Engineering at Newcastle on University. It is looking unlikely he will start due to a really bad flare up of anxiety (that started when he realised he’d be living there for real). He’s had anxiety/panic attacks before around exam time but still did really well (top grades). I’m worried he will drop out as he was hoping to commute instead of stay there but the timetable is a 5 day a week contact (which I’d expected for engineering tbh) with three days 9-5 lectures and the other 2 days having a lecture for an hour only. This makes it difficult to commute. It would work if there was a later lecture start time or a day off.

His panic attacks have been bad and he has a GP appointment this morning. He needs something to help him cope through this major transition in life.

An option he has is to switch courses to a less demanding one. Does anyone know of any with a lower contact time. He really wants to stay at Newcastle University. He’s looking at an engineering/maths/architecture type career but would be open to suggestions.

He’s already had a gap year so I don’t think it’s a good idea he takes another.

Time is out. Can anyone help? He’s a bright kid and I don’t want this to destroy his future.
The university well being team are aware of his situation.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by StudentMarch04
Hi,
Posting on behalf of my son who is due to start a BEng in Civil Engineering at Newcastle on University. It is looking unlikely he will start due to a really bad flare up of anxiety (that started when he realised he’d be living there for real). He’s had anxiety/panic attacks before around exam time but still did really well (top grades). I’m worried he will drop out as he was hoping to commute instead of stay there but the timetable is a 5 day a week contact (which I’d expected for engineering tbh) with three days 9-5 lectures and the other 2 days having a lecture for an hour only. This makes it difficult to commute. It would work if there was a later lecture start time or a day off.

His panic attacks have been bad and he has a GP appointment this morning. He needs something to help him cope through this major transition in life.

An option he has is to switch courses to a less demanding one. Does anyone know of any with a lower contact time. He really wants to stay at Newcastle University. He’s looking at an engineering/maths/architecture type career but would be open to suggestions.

Time is out. Can anyone help? He’s a bright kid and I don’t want this to destroy his future.

Architecture won't be an option unless he has a portfolio of creative work that he can submit, as it is a design-based degree at heart.

If Newcastle is aware, are they coming up with any course suggestions/availability?
I’ve emailed the well-being team this morning to see if they can point us in the right direction. I have the clearing number too.
Hi,

The university well being team are aware of his situation.

I’ve emailed the well-being team this morning to see if they can point us in the right direction. I have the clearing number too.

Hi @StudentMarch04,

I am sorry to hear about what your son is going through. I am unsure if you have heard back from our Student Wellbeing Team since you contacted them but please be assured that we prioritise the wellbeing of our students. Information on the support available at Newcastle University can be found here.

In regards to changing course, if a registered student wants to request a programme transfer they have to do so in line with our Student Progress Policies and Procedures. Please note that any on-course transfer requests are considered on a case-by-case basis and are not guaranteed. Students wanting to transfer should contact their Personal Tutor and the Degree Programme Director (DPD) of the course they want to change to.

For further information and guidance, yourself or your son are welcome to contact our Student Engagement Team. You can speak to them via telephone (0191 208 3333, option 2) or by visiting them at the main Student Services entrance to level 2 of King's Gate.

Hana

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending