The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Does Eduroam "just work" for visitors at Lancaster?

like the title really

I am an academic elsewhere and will be on campus soon, helping my daughter settle in

Because I have post grad dissertations to review I need to be able to get online, a phone hotspot is okay but much easier if I can just connect

In other contexts I literally just connect to the Eduroam WiFi with my username and password but I have noticed some institutions requiring Apps and more complicated stuff - which is a pain because my institution Mac wont allow me to install stuff
Original post by ChiefBrody
like the title really

I am an academic elsewhere and will be on campus soon, helping my daughter settle in

Because I have post grad dissertations to review I need to be able to get online, a phone hotspot is okay but much easier if I can just connect

In other contexts I literally just connect to the Eduroam WiFi with my username and password but I have noticed some institutions requiring Apps and more complicated stuff - which is a pain because my institution Mac wont allow me to install stuff

Hi!

As you mentioned, at Lancaster you will need to install an app or use a Lancaster email address (depending on the device you are using) to connect to Eduroam Wi-Fi. However, there is also a separate Wi-Fi network called LU-Visitor which allows temporary access to university Wi-Fi (you will need to re-connect every 24 hours). This network works like any other public Wi-Fi so you won't need to install anything. More information on Wi-Fi on campus can be found here: https://portal.lancaster.ac.uk/ask/wi-fi/.

Hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ChiefBrody
like the title really

The University of Lancaster is listed at https://community.jisc.ac.uk/library/janet-services-documentation/where-can-i-eduroam-uk as being "Home and Visited" -- so your device should connect automatically without you needing to do anything.

What level of access you get will depend on what is provided to visitors by the organisation you're visiting. There is a minimum level of access specified, but the organisation may provide more than that basic level. See sections 4.5.1/2/3 at https://community.jisc.ac.uk/library/janet-services-documentation/eduroamuk-technical-specification

You do need to check that eduroam works on your device at your home organisation before visiting anywhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending