The Student Room Group

Applying for a masters with a third class degree.

Hi all,
I graduated a few years ago with a third class. I took a few years out to gain experience and nearly finished writing my personal statement for a pgdip. Should I explain why I got the classification I did in my statement, as I got mitigating circumstances at the time due to being a victim of a crime. How can I word it professionally any advice??
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by farahayesha_
Hi all,
I graduated a few years ago with a third class. I took a few years out to gain experience and nearly finished writing my personal statement for a pgdip. Should I explain why I got the classification I did in my statement, as I got mitigating circumstances at the time due to being a victim of a crime. How can I word it professionally any advice??

Hi there,

It's understandable to feel like you should explain why you received a third-class degree in your personal statement. If you feel that your circumstances had a significant impact on your academic performance, it's okay to mention them in your statement.
However, it's important to remember that your personal statement should focus on your strengths, skills, and experiences that make you a good candidate for the program. In short, you need to sell yourself well!!

When mentioning your circumstances, try to be concise and factual. You don't need to go into great detail, but briefly in the situation and how it affected your academic performance. Make sure to focus on how you have grown and developed since then and highlight any relevant work experience or achievements that demonstrate your suitability for the program.

I would also advice you to search online for essays written by people who have faced similar challenges that affected their education. There are a good number online!
Original post by thatSoftwareGuy
Hi there,

It's understandable to feel like you should explain why you received a third-class degree in your personal statement. If you feel that your circumstances had a significant impact on your academic performance, it's okay to mention them in your statement.
However, it's important to remember that your personal statement should focus on your strengths, skills, and experiences that make you a good candidate for the program. In short, you need to sell yourself well!!

When mentioning your circumstances, try to be concise and factual. You don't need to go into great detail, but briefly in the situation and how it affected your academic performance. Make sure to focus on how you have grown and developed since then and highlight any relevant work experience or achievements that demonstrate your suitability for the program.

I would also advice you to search online for essays written by people who have faced similar challenges that affected their education. There are a good number online!

Hi, thanks for responding!
I will take everything you said on board.
Could you recommend any online websites where I can look at statements online to get an idea. I've had a look but can't seem to find any. thanks
Hi, thanks for responding!
I will take everything you said on board.
Could you recommend any online websites where I can look at statements online to get an idea. I've had a look but can't seem to find any. thanks

https://essayforum.com
It would also be useful to have your referee address this if possible.
Hi all,

Rather than focus on any explanation of your situation, apart from the facts of the crime and its connection to your result, you should focus on your grades before the incident and demonstrate that you were on track for a 2.1 or above beforehand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending