The Student Room Group

Working full time and studying part time - how do you manage?

Hi all

I’m planning on studying an online masters which will require 15 hours of study per week. I work full time, around 38 hours.

I don’t have children but would be interested to know how people manage full time work and PT study. Any tips are welcome.
Thanks
Hi,

I am currently in my third year or uni doing a full time work and have worked an average of around 20 hours a week. Although my circumstances are in the reverse of yours, I can relate to needing help with your question.
I found that i have had to schedule everything into my google calendar, to try and keep on top of things. Work, study time, assignments and exams due, appointments and I used different colours for each thing. Most importantly make sure you remember to make time for you and have fun too.

I find that a little bit of time spent on planning makes things much easier in the long run.
I hope this helps.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep
Reply 2
Hi Victoria

Thanks for your reply, I’m not the most organised person! You sound like you are. I’ll try to ensure I start using my calendar more!

Do you tend to ensure you only study on a certain number of days, eg 3-4 a week and no more?

Thanks x
Hi,
I'm glad I could help!

I try to plan depending on what I have due assignment wise. I'm not that organised, I just find i forget things if i don't have it all planned out for me.
I prefer to do a small amount of studying over more days, rather than trying to do a huge chunk over one day. I find that its harder to keep the information in my head if i spend too long on it.

I'm sure you will find what works well for you.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Reps
Original post by Winona84
Hi all
I’m planning on studying an online masters which will require 15 hours of study per week. I work full time, around 38 hours.
I don’t have children but would be interested to know how people manage full time work and PT study. Any tips are welcome.
Thanks
Hello @Winona84,

It's great to see that you're planning ahead to help you balance your different commitments!

We have a blog post dedicated to providing full-time professionals with strategies to balance full-time work and study - https://bit.ly/3PgRZ9z. These are the tips we share with our students who are studying online BSc or MSc courses, so I think this will be very helpful to you in your preparations!

I hope that this helps and good luck!

Thanks,

Becky
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending