The Student Room Group

A-level English lit or french??!

Hi I need advice
I got 9 in french and English lit and I enjoy them both but I have to pick one since they don’t fit in my timetable together. Which one do you think is more useful and respected as a subject and which one do you think will be more attainable to get at least an A or A* in?
(edited 7 months ago)
I would say it depends on what you would want to do in the future, both subjects could lead you to a lot of jobs/careers. Also with the french a-level its like gcse english lit but in french as far as I understand so I'm guessing you'd have to be quite confident in French to achieve an A*. At the end of the day I'd say pick the subject you are most confident in - maybe you could look at the specs and see which one you might prefer.
Reply 2
Original post by azeemah7654321
I would say it depends on what you would want to do in the future, both subjects could lead you to a lot of jobs/careers. Also with the french a-level its like gcse english lit but in french as far as I understand so I'm guessing you'd have to be quite confident in French to achieve an A*. At the end of the day I'd say pick the subject you are most confident in - maybe you could look at the specs and see which one you might prefer.

The thing is I don’t know what I want to do in the future. I just want to pick subjects that will keep the most doors open
Original post by irenxic
The thing is I don’t know what I want to do in the future. I just want to pick subjects that will keep the most doors open

I would say both have equal opportunities and both are good to have. I guess you could google like careers you could get into with each. Also see if it aligns with your other subjects, or if u even want it to align because you might want to do something you enjoy for your third a level not something you need if that makes sense.
Original post by irenxic
Hi I need advice
I got 9 in french and English lit and I enjoy them both but I have to pick one since they don’t fit in my timetable together. Which one do you think is more useful and respected as a subject and which one do you think will be more attainable to get at least an A or A* in?

French obviously, because Languages degrees at Oxbridge have the highest acceptance rates. 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest