The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

How to meet people as a 1st year in private accom?

As the title says, I am in private accom as I was unable to be assigned student accom. How am I supposed to meet people aside from join societies? Everybody attends events with flatmates. Cold approaching groups of people seems daunting
Talking to people in lectures and going to society events are honestly your best bet. Even if it seems like there’s also groups in societies people will be way more than happy to talk to you and there’ll also defo be other people going to society events alone, don’t worry too much. Just stay consistent with the places you go too and you’ll see familiar faces
On campus at the University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Hey!

I understand that navigating social opportunities in private accommodation can be a unique challenge, but fear not—there are numerous ways to make meaningful connections outside of the typical flatmate dynamic. I'm more than happy to share some suggestions:

1) Societies and Clubs: You've mentioned joining societies, and that's a fantastic start! It's an excellent way to meet like-minded individuals who share your interests. Beyond academic societies, consider exploring sports, arts, or cultural clubs. You'll find a diverse range of people with varied backgrounds.

2) University Events: Keep an eye on the university's event calendar. There are often campus-wide events, workshops, and lectures that provide opportunities to mingle with fellow students. These events are a great way to meet people from different courses and backgrounds.

3) Social Media Groups: Many universities have official social media groups for students. Join platforms like Facebook or WhatsApp where students often share information about events, study groups, or just social gatherings. It's an easy way to connect with others in a more casual setting.

4) Study Spaces: Utilize common study areas, such as the library or campus cafes. Being present in these spaces not only helps you focus on your studies but also increases the chances of striking up conversations with fellow students.

5) Attend Workshops and Training: Universities frequently host various workshops and training sessions. This could range from career development to well-being. These smaller group settings provide an excellent chance to interact with others.

6) Volunteer Opportunities: Consider volunteering for events or initiatives organized by the university or local community. It's a great way to give back, meet new people, and make a positive impact.

Remember, everyone is in a similar position, looking to make connections and friendships. While approaching new people might seem daunting, many students are open to meeting new friends. Don't hesitate to take the initiative and attend events or strike up a conversation. If you ever need more information or assistance, feel free to reach out to the Student Hub & Wellbeing Team.

Wishing you a fantastic and socially fulfilling time here at the University of Southampton!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending