The Student Room Group

Social life at uni

Hi guys currently in year 13 right now and obviously have to choose accomodation for next year (University of Leicester).

However, I found some really nice rooms for relatively good price compared to the rest. The only problem is that it's a 5 minute walk from the uni but it is privately owned.

Will this mean that my social life will suffer? (I want to party and stuff) Since I'll be more than likely with 1st, 2nd and 3rd years?

I'm not really sure if I'll regret my decision I really want to make the most of the social aspects in uni.

Any advice would appreciate, :smile:
Original post by Bubbnugg
Hi guys currently in year 13 right now and obviously have to choose accomodation for next year (University of Leicester).

However, I found some really nice rooms for relatively good price compared to the rest. The only problem is that it's a 5 minute walk from the uni but it is privately owned.

Will this mean that my social life will suffer? (I want to party and stuff) Since I'll be more than likely with 1st, 2nd and 3rd years?

I'm not really sure if I'll regret my decision I really want to make the most of the social aspects in uni.

Not particularly. It'll just mean that you'll most likely have to join others in their flats to party and stuff :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Not particularly. It'll just mean that you'll most likely have to join others in their flats to party and stuff :tongue:
So is there any point changing to uni owned ones as I could just go to others?
So is there any point changing to uni owned ones as I could just go to others?

Well, if you were to move to uni accomodation, you'd presumably be living with a bunch of year 1s as well, in the same boat as you, which you may or may not prefer. But it's all a matter of personal preference, really

@Bubbnugg

Five minutes is not a long distance from the university.

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
5 minutes isn’t that far from the university. I have lived about a 30 min walk from campus for the past 3 years and have never felt it impact my social life at uni. You’ll also be living with first years, who will probably also want to go out as well.

There will also be opportunities by joining sports and societies while your at uni, which normally meet up at least once a week, and go out on a Wednesday evening. I very much recommend joining a club, as I’ve met a lot of my friends outside of my course, through it.

Suzan - Student Ambassador
Reply 6
Original post by YSJstudents
5 minutes isn’t that far from the university. I have lived about a 30 min walk from campus for the past 3 years and have never felt it impact my social life at uni. You’ll also be living with first years, who will probably also want to go out as well.

There will also be opportunities by joining sports and societies while your at uni, which normally meet up at least once a week, and go out on a Wednesday evening. I very much recommend joining a club, as I’ve met a lot of my friends outside of my course, through it.

Suzan - Student Ambassador
Thank u so much!

Hi @Bubbnugg, 😊

Great to hear that you are going to university. I agree with what others have said, living 5 minutes away is not far at all and won't have an impact on your social life. I lived about 10 minutes away in my first year and it didn't have an impact on my social life.

At university there will be plenty of opportunities for you to join in with various events and meet up with friends, you can also join societies or clubs to meet like-minded people outside your course.

Best wishes,
Sarah
is that at opal court? i was wondering the same thing the accoms there looks so nice but since it's privately owned i don't know whether there'll be much first years there

Hi @Bubbnugg ,

Having a room 5 minutes from Uni and a good price seems ideal! However, I understand your concerns about being put with people from all years.

I wouldn't say that your social life will suffer, but you may have to make more of an effort to go out and meet people if you do end up getting put with people in older years who may not eat to go out as much. So I would say it's more down to whether you feel confident to go and meet other people and join others.

You may be able to request to be put with first years but I'm not sure how much attention they pay to that as I lived in a university owned halls rather than private halls.You might also get lucky and be put with first years anyway- it depends how many first years end up booking there! If there is a uni owned halls that you like the look of then it might be worth looking into it if you want to be guaranteed a flat with first years.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending