The Student Room Group

National Insurance number for student not living in the UK

Hi. My daughter is a British national and we live in Spain. She has been granted home fee status, tuition fee and the minimum maintenance loan by Student Finance England. However, for the fees to be paid to the University she has been asked to provide a National Insurance number (which she does not have), and a UK address .She can only apply for a NINO when she arrives in the UK in September. My questions are:'
(a) Should she give the hall of residence address (temporary address) when applying or the address of a relative in the UK?
(b) If she applies in September for her NINO , will the university be OK to wait for the fees if there is a delay from Student Finance?
Original post by Mary Nickilos
Hi. My daughter is a British national and we live in Spain. She has been granted home fee status, tuition fee and the minimum maintenance loan by Student Finance England. However, for the fees to be paid to the University she has been asked to provide a National Insurance number (which she does not have), and a UK address .She can only apply for a NINO when she arrives in the UK in September. My questions are:'
(a) Should she give the hall of residence address (temporary address) when applying or the address of a relative in the UK?
(b) If she applies in September for her NINO , will the university be OK to wait for the fees if there is a delay from Student Finance?

Hi there, Who is requesting the UK address and NINO? The university or student finance? Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Who is requesting the UK address and NINO? The university or student finance? Thanks, Angela

The student finance is requesting these. We have been informed that payments have been blocked until they receive the NINO, the UK address and the bank account details.
(edited 8 months ago)
The student finance is requesting these. We have been informed that payments have been blocked until they receive the NINO, the UK address and the bank account details.

Hi there, Thanks for confirming. Yes, that is correct a NINO is required to be validated for payments to be released. We do also require UK address and Bank Account details to be provided for payments to be released once the NINO has been validated by the Department of Work and Pensions. As soon as the required information is available please provide the details to us. Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Thanks for confirming. Yes, that is correct a NINO is required to be validated for payments to be released. We do also require UK address and Bank Account details to be provided for payments to be released once the NINO has been validated by the Department of Work and Pensions. As soon as the required information is available please provide the details to us. Thanks, Angela

Thank you Angela. When applying for a NINO, should she give the hall of residence address at the university (temporary address) or the address of a relative in the UK (who resides in a different city)? I worry that if she gives the permanent address of a relative and she is asked to attend an interview, she'll be far away.
Thank you Angela. When applying for a NINO, should she give the hall of residence address at the university (temporary address) or the address of a relative in the UK (who resides in a different city)? I worry that if she gives the permanent address of a relative and she is asked to attend an interview, she'll be far away.

Hi there, The instructions just state a UK address to be listed, if no address if provided initially and provided at a later date the NINO validation would be submitted once the address has been added. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending