The Student Room Group

Thinking of dropping out of college...

It's only been 3 weeks, but I can’t say I’m enjoying it like the rest of my classmates. I had hoped to make friends, improve my social anxiety, and learn something I thought was interesting.

The work isn’t necessarily the hardest, but it’s so tedious and I’m having trouble understanding some concepts. Plus, I hate being in an academic environment and I’m not even sure that what I’m studying is what I want to pursue.

OPTIONAL READ:
Honestly, I want to drop out and take a gap year to reevaluate my options, focus on my mental health, and figure out my desired career path. However, there are a few factors preventing me from making this decision:

1. I’ve already invested £130 or so into college-related things
2. I’m scared about ending up with no qualifications (except GCSEs) and a low-paying job
3. I’m not fully convinced in my ability to follow through with my plans during the gap year
4. If I do end up deciding I want to return to college, I’d have to pay for it

I just don't know what to do...
What would you do instead? Are other environments going to be anymore comfortable?
Original post by kcyden
It's only been 3 weeks, but I can’t say I’m enjoying it like the rest of my classmates. I had hoped to make friends, improve my social anxiety, and learn something I thought was interesting.

The work isn’t necessarily the hardest, but it’s so tedious and I’m having trouble understanding some concepts. Plus, I hate being in an academic environment and I’m not even sure that what I’m studying is what I want to pursue.

OPTIONAL READ:
Honestly, I want to drop out and take a gap year to reevaluate my options, focus on my mental health, and figure out my desired career path. However, there are a few factors preventing me from making this decision:

1. I’ve already invested £130 or so into college-related things
2. I’m scared about ending up with no qualifications (except GCSEs) and a low-paying job
3. I’m not fully convinced in my ability to follow through with my plans during the gap year
4. If I do end up deciding I want to return to college, I’d have to pay for it

I just don't know what to do...

If you arent enjoying college, how about looking into an apprenticeship?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending