The Student Room Group

DSA Allowance for Asthma

Hi,

I was wondering whether I would qualify for DSA, I was diagnosed with asthma at 4 years old and have actively had it since then. I go to a private school but am on a bursary through a military scheme. My household income is under 70k. What do you think of my odds as I am very uninformed.
Reply 1
DSA is to help with extra disability related costs for higher education irrelevant to household income etc.
Is there anything you have in mind? They don’t just hand out money usually
Reply 2
Original post by ALEreapp
DSA is to help with extra disability related costs for higher education irrelevant to household income. Is there anything you have in mind? They don’t just hand out money usually

What would fall under these costs? Tuition?
Original post by Alimaster2677
What would fall under these costs? Tuition?

No, DSA is to cover specific study-related costs that you incur because of your disability.

Everybody pays tuition - it’s not something extra that you have to pay because of your asthma - so that doesn’t count.
Original post by Alimaster2677
Hi,

I was wondering whether I would qualify for DSA, I was diagnosed with asthma at 4 years old and have actively had it since then. I go to a private school but am on a bursary through a military scheme. My household income is under 70k. What do you think of my odds as I am very uninformed.

Essentially any medical condition that could have an impact on your ability to study can be eligible for DSA. You would have to get evidence from your doctor that your medical condition will affect your ability to study and how. So, if your asthma is quite bad where it's affecting your every day life and ability to meet deadlines/keep on top of everything, then you can get support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending