The Student Room Group

Year travelling after masters before PhD?

Hi everyone, I would like your thoughts on my current situation. I'm completing my masters of Research in stem cells currently and am unsure whether it is worth traveling for a year before applying for a PhD. I am so passionate about science but also about trvaelling and I feel like I need to see the world. However I'm worried that taking a year out will hinder any chance I have of getting accepted onto a PhD in comparison with more recent graduates.
I don’t see an obvious reason why it would hinder you providing you are accessible, a lot of getting a PhD is engaging with supervisors, having discussions about there research + your interests. If you apply whilst at university it is generally easy to get meet a few professors if you approach them constructively as you are on the same site as them.

If you go traveling just be aware to find ways to engage in dialogue & have time to make applications, attend funding interviews and the like.
Original post by Gfarquhar08
Hi everyone, I would like your thoughts on my current situation. I'm completing my masters of Research in stem cells currently and am unsure whether it is worth traveling for a year before applying for a PhD. I am so passionate about science but also about trvaelling and I feel like I need to see the world. However I'm worried that taking a year out will hinder any chance I have of getting accepted onto a PhD in comparison with more recent graduates.

Your issue isn't one of recency of graduation, it's simply logistics. In many cases, though perhaps less so in the sciences where there are more funding options, the issue is one of competitiveness for funding. Given the timings of the UK academic year, if you want to do a PhD directly after a Masters, you have to apply with only one term of Master's academics behind you. This doesn't put you in a strong position in terms of evidence of ability, knowledge of skills set and interests, or references. Those who apply in a 'gap year' immediately after graduating from a Masters, apply with a full set of results, skills, experience and references and are therefore, generally, must stronger applicants.

The issue therefore, is as mnot suggests, one of logistics. If you can travel so that you remain connected, can complete applications, answer emails reliable, participate in Teams/Zoom conversations etc, then you are in a stronger position by applying in gap year. If you can't do that though, it's a bad idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending